A. When inclement weather threatens the DSU community, the President or his designee, may declare an emergency closing. This could mean a “full” or “partial” closing of all or some university operations.
B. The following units are considered essential services and are never closed under this policy.
1. University Police
2. Emergency Maintenance Operations
C. If the University is closed due to inclement weather, the following procedures will be used.
1. The President or his designee, will notify the Division of Communications and Marketing of the decision for a “full” or “partial” closing, including when normal operations are expected to resume.
2. The Division of Communications and Marketing will communicate via OKRA ALERT to the university community the details of the closing and, if known, when normal operations will resume.
3. Place details of the closing on Delta State University’s official social media resources.
4. Notify local media.
5. Place notice of the closing on the DSU webpage.
6. Coordinate with the Office of Information Technology to include a voice message on the main telephone line of the university (662-846-3000).
D. What you can do to prepare?
1. Be sure you are signed up for OKRA ALERTS and monitor local weather reports.
2. If you commute, familiarize yourself with alternate means of travel or alternate routes.
3. If you are a student, clarify the expectations of your instructors: When are absences excused? How can missed assignments be completed?
4. If you are a faculty member, give your students guidance: How will weather related closings affect assignments and deadlines? How must you or your students communicate any inability to travel due to weather conditions? (REMEMBER: For commuter students, local roadways may be more hazardous for travel than roadways on or immediately surrounding the campus.)
5. If you are responsible for a university event, determine how you will make notifications of cancelations, rescheduling, or refunds.