Student Employment

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) provides jobs for students with financial needs, allowing them to earn money while in school. Work study award amounts must be earned by the hours worked before students are paid. Students are paid between $1,000 – $1,500 a semester depending on what their award limit is. They are paid on the 15th of each month through direct deposit or check.

Approximately 300 students that show financial needed are awarded work study amounts each year at Delta State based on their interest on the FAFSA and FAFSA completion. Students must be in at least 6 hours and in good financial aid standing to be awarded FWS.

Students can begin working as early as the first day of class depending on their FWS approval. Most students work between 10-20 hours a week depending on the hours/earnings they are awarded. The last day of work will fall on the day of graduation at the end of each semester.

I qualify!
If you have been awarded Federal Work Study, follow these steps:

  1. You will fill out a “FWS Employee Action Request” (yellow form) for the Financial Aid Department. This form is mandatory and is “proof” of your eligibility for work study. It must be filled out with signatures from both you and your department supervisor (department in which you are hired). On the back of this form, you will complete the Time Sheet policy section. This form is ONLY available to be picked up, in person, in the Financial Aid office — Kent Wyatt Hall, Suite 144. After the form is completed, please return it to Lauren Boulanger in the Financial Aid office.  You will receive an email to your Okramail regarding when the form is available to pick up.
  2. You will need to complete all necessary paperwork and trainings for Human Resources. Information on this will be sent to your Okramail email address. You can also find this paperwork on our webpage link below. Please print and complete all forms that pertain to you, print, sign, and date your training certificates, and turn them in to your department supervisor.

    Here are the links for the mandatory trainings:

    Active Shooter Training:  

    Workplace Discriminatory Harassment Awareness and Prevention Training:

  3. Your supervisor will submit all of your paperwork and training certificates to Human Resources. Your supervisor will also create and submit an EPAF to officially hire you as a Federal Work Study student employee.
  4. You may NOT begin working until ALL paperwork has been turned in and processed, your EPAF has been approved, and authorization has been granted to your supervisor.

**If you are a rehire from last year, you DO NOT have to fill out paperwork or do the trainings. You ONLY need a Federal Work-Study Employment Action Request (yellow form)  unless you need to make changes or update any other documents. You will pick up this form in the Financial Aid Department.

Regular Student Employment

Regular student employment is the opportunity to work in a department on campus. Eligibility is not based on the incomes of the student or the family.

Approximately 100 students work in departments on campus as regular student employees. Any student is eligible for open positions.

Students interested in working on campus should contact department directly to check for available positions. Each department will instruct students how to apply for open jobs.

Students typically work 5-10 hours per week. Student workers are paid on the 15th of each month.

Find an On-Campus Job

Delta State’s Career Services serves to assist undergraduate and graduate students and alumni in their career journeys! Services include resume consultations, career coaching, job postings, job search planning, workshops on interviewing and business etiquette skills, on-campus interviews, email newsletters, a Career Ambassadors’ student organization and much more.

Career Services can assist students with finding on-campus and even off-campus jobs. Visit Career Services for more information on finding student jobs.

Forms for Supervisors

All RSE supervisors should visit the Human Resources website to print the New Regular Student Employee (RSE) Employment Packet at the following address:

All Work-Study supervisors should visit the link below to retrieve the New Hire FWS Packet. Once packet is completed, New Hire paperwork should be submitted via the OneDrive to Human Resources.

Let Career Services Help Find You a Campus Job

New Hire FWS Paperwork