Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements

Students must be accepted and classified as degree seeking to be eligible for financial aid.

  • To receive financial aid, enrollment is based on classes that count toward degree completion.  If a class is not required to earn the degree, then that class will not be used to calculate a student’s enrollment.
  • Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Students may not receive aid in excess of their cost of attendance.
  • Students must not be in default on any federal educational loan or owe repayment on a federal grant at this or any other institution.
  • Students must provide all information requested for the completion of their file.
  • Students must apply annually for financial aid.
  • Students must complete the Loan Entrance Counseling for the Federal Direct Loan if they are a first time borrower at DSU.
  • Students must be a U. S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen. Eligible non-citizens include I-151, I-551, and I-688 cardholders as well as some I-94 classifications.
  • Students must have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
  • For need based programs, students must show a financial need as computed on the FAFSA.
  • All male applicants must be registered with Selective Service, if applicable

Independent Students

Students will be classified as independent for financial aid purposes only if at least one of the following applies:

  • you are 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year,
  • you are married,
  • you are enrolled in a graduate or professional degree (master’s or doctorate) program,
  • you are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training,
  • you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • you have children for whom you provide more than half of their financial support,
  • have legal dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30th of the school year,
  • you were an orphan, foster child, or ward/dependent of the court at any time since age of 13,
  • you are an emancipated minor or in a legal guardianship, or were when reaching the age of majority in your state (Note: The United States Department of Education does not recognize Emancipation of a Mississippi Resident as being valid to establish independent student status for Federal Financial Aid.), and
  • you are/were an unaccompanied youth, or are/were homeless or at risk of being homeless.