Department of Music
All prospective music students must follow the general admission procedure of the University. Additionally, all potential music majors and minors are required to audition before the appropriate faculty in order to determine their suitability to enter the music program, participate in any ensemble, and determine eligibility for a band or choir scholarship. Music scholarships are awarded based upon demonstrated performance abilities. Scholarship offers may be made only after a student has been admitted to the university. For information on other scholarship opportunities, potential students should contact the DSU Financial Aid Office
For international admission, please visit the office of International Student Undergraduate Admission.
Because of restrictions in place due to COVID-19, students who wish to apply for a music scholarship should email DSUMusic@deltastate.edu. One of our faculty will then contact you to make arrangements for a safe audition process that best displays your musical talents!
To schedule an audition, email DSUMusic@deltastate.edu, contact the main office at (662) 846-4615, or contact the appropriate ensemble director:
For a list of audition requirements, click HERE
Music Theory Entrance Exam
All entering music majors and minors are required to demonstrate their knowledge of music theory and notation and proficiency in musicianship by taking music theory entrance exams in the first week of their first semester as a music major or minor at DSU. Click HERE for an explanation of the DSU music theory entrance exams.
These resources may be helpful in preparing for the DSU music theory entrance exams:
- Sample exams
- Freshman Aural Skills Entrance Exam (for all incoming freshman students)
- Freshman Music Theory Entrance Exam (for all incoming freshman students)
- Freshman Music Theory Advanced Placement Exam (for freshman who have taken AP Music Theory and wish to test out of first-semester theory)
- MUS 250 Music Theory Diagnostic Exam (for all sophomore students)
- MUS 252 Aural Skills Diagnostic Exam (for all sophomore students)
- Sophomore Music Theory Validation Exam (for transfer students who wish to transfer their freshman and sophomore theory credits from a community college)
- Sophomore Aural Skills Validation Exam (for transfer students who wish to transfer their freshman and sophomore aural theory credits from a community college)
- Exploring Theory with Practica Musica (external site)
- Teoría (external site)