DSU alumnus & former McNair Scholar awarded rural physicians scholarship, set for med school this fall

CLEVELAND, Miss.— How it started: Aman Syed Mohammad (’19) attended Delta State University (DSU) to earn a bachelor’s degree in Biology (Pre-Med) with a minor in Chemistry.

How it’s going:  The former DSU McNair Research Scholar will be starting his medical school journey this fall at William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine by way of the prestigious Mississippi Rural Physician Scholarship Program (MRPSP).

Created in 2007, the MRPSP is designed to provide more primary care physicians in rural areas of Mississippi. During medical school, each MRPSP scholar receives $30,000 per year based on available funding as well as personalized mentorship and academic support.

Aman Syed Mohammad

Mohammed said the program will help him to achieve his dream of practicing medicine in rural Mississippi.

“Participating in MRPSP will help me surround myself with people who share my goals and interests and learn more about other rural communities’ needs,” he said. “Serving in Mississippi’s rural areas will help to eradicate the state’s health care crisis by making primary health care more accessible in underserved communities.”

Studying medicine has been my lifelong dream of the 25-year-old who was born in New York City and grew up in Chittagong, Bangladesh.

“I have always had a passion for practicing medicine in a rural area to help out underserved communities,” he shared. “This next step in my educational journey will prepare me to reach that goal and contribute to the lives of those who are often neglected.”

Mohammed said he wouldn’t have made it to where he is today without DSU.

“Delta State made a significant impact on my life. I was fortunate enough to be taught by some of the most amazing professors I have ever met. My advisor, professors, peers and friends deeply rooted and supported me throughout my undergraduate journey,” he said.

He’s also grateful for the resources, mentorship and guidance he received as a participant in DSU’s McNair Scholars Program, designed to prepare qualified undergraduate students for entrance to a PhD program in all fields of study.

“The McNair program prepared me to go out into the real world by helping me gain research experience and attend conferences where I had the opportunity to meet other brilliant minds. The program also funded my research about the Population Dynamics of Elasmobranchs, allowing me to garner skills that will be very useful during my medical school journey.”

Upon completing medical school, Mohammad plans to enter residency in family medicine. He said he chose this specialty as it will allow him the opportunity to serve a diverse population range.

“I not only want to help the sick but also help healthy individuals by focusing on prevention medicine. I want to use my skills and knowledge to educate more people about a healthy lifestyle and its impact on our lives and surroundings.”