Graduate & Continuing Studies
Each Delta State University Honors Program Application will be evaluated as it is completed, and there is no set deadline; however, the number of seats for incoming students is limited each year to approximately 25. You are strongly encouraged to complete your application as soon as possible.
The application process begins with an introductory e-mail from you to firstname.lastname@example.org. In this e-mail, please include the following information:
- First and Last Name,
- Your DSU 900# if you have it,
- Home Address,
- Highschool GPA,
- Colleges attended if appropriate
- College GPA if appropriate,
- ACT and/or SAT scores,
- Major, and
- Other areas of interest (sports, social groups, career aspirations, etc.).
The Complete Package
To complete the Honors Program Application package, you also need to submit several more items. Please include your 900# in all correspondence. The items you need include the following:
- A Resume (awards, work experience, leadership, extracurricular, community, volunteer, and community service activities),
- A short autobiographical essay (350 – 500 words),
- A second essay on a topic from the list below (500 – 700 words), and
- Two letters of recommendation that should be e-mailed from the recommenders directly to email@example.com.
You are welcome to submit the resume and autobiographical essay with your initial e-mail if you desire.
You may also choose from the following topics for the second essay:
- Topic 1: Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- Topic 2: The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Topic 3: Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
- Topic 4: Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma—anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
- Topic 5: Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
- Topic 6: Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Topic 7: Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
Transfer and Current Students
Transfer students and current students at Delta State may also apply for admission to the program. Transfers and current students must have at least four semesters remaining in their degree program at Delta State in order to be admitted to the program.