Choir Auditions and Scholarships
The Delta Chorale
The Delta Chorale is the premiere touring choir at Delta State University. Students are auditioned every year to earn membership in this elite ensemble.
Students who desire to participate in either of our other choirs, the Delta Singers Women’s Chorale or the Delta Singers Singing Statesmen, do not need audition. Simply register for the appropriate class section:
- First-year women: MUS 140-01 [CRN 40851]
- First-year men: MUS 140-02 [CRN 47940]
- Sophomore, junior, and senior women: MUS 340-01 [CRN 40875]
- Sophomore, junior, and senior men: MUS 340-02 [CRN 47941]
To sign up for a Chorale audition, please contact Dr. Thorn.
The audition will consist of the following elements:
- Sing a prepared piece with good diction, tone quality and accurate rhythms and pitches.
- Sight-reading (will be provided in the audition).
- Tonal memory. A series of pitches will be played for you; sing them back on [du].
- Interview for assessment of characteristics for membership which include:
- Determination & work ethic
- Self-motivation; willingness to practice & prepare outside of class
- Desire for group membership
- Integrity & authenticity
Auditions will take place in Dr. Thorn’s office, Bailey Hall 129, on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, August 22–25.
Auditioning indicates that you are willing to purchase our concert attire, pay a minimal tour fee, and that you agree to participate in the following events:
- All class meeting times: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 12:45–1:50 pm
- All concerts and activities of the DSU Chorale
Please note that Chorale is an ALL-YEAR COMMITMENT (i.e., both fall and spring semesters). Exceptions will be made for students graduating in December and for those studying off-campus in the spring.
Scholarships are awarded based on demonstrated performance abilities and are available to music majors and non-music majors. Auditions occur on specially designated days during the spring semester.