Choir Auditions and Scholarships
The Delta Chorale
The Delta Chorale is the premiere touring choir at Delta State University. Students are auditioned every year to earn membership in this elite ensemble.
Students who desire to participate in either of our other choirs, the Delta Singers Women’s Chorale or the Delta Singers Singing Statesmen, do not need audition. Simply register for the appropriate class section:
- First-year women: MUS 140-01 [CRN 40851]
- First-year men: MUS 140-02 [CRN 47940]
- Sophomore, junior, and senior women: MUS 340-01 [CRN 40875]
- Sophomore, junior, and senior men: MUS 340-02 [CRN 47941]
To sign up for a Chorale audition, please click here.
The audition will consist of the following elements:
- Sing the three exercises on p. 3 of this audition packet. What we’re looking for:
- Exercise #1: preparation; vocal flexibility, agility, and control
- Exercises #2 & 3: range, tone quality, ease of registration
- Sing your preferred voice part on two excerpts from “A Bronze Triptych” by Dan Forrest (pp. 4–12 of the audition packet). Dr. Potter will play the other voice parts along with you. What we’re looking for:
- Excellent preparation of rhythms & pitches
- Tone quality: mature, chiaroscuro, soloistic
- Dynamic control and contrasts
- Diction: energized consonants & distinct vowels
- Expert execution of all markings in the score
- Sight-reading (will be provided in the audition).
- Tonal memory. A series of pitches will be played for you; sing them back on [du].
- Interview. During the other elements of your audition, Dr. Potter will assess your fit for Chorale. The personal characteristics of a successful Chorale member include:
- Relentless positivity
- Determination & work ethic
- Self-motivation; willingness to practice & prepare outside of class
- Integrity & authenticity
Auditions will take place in Dr. Potter’s office, Bailey Hall 129, on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, August 22–25.
Auditioning indicates that you are willing to purchase our concert attire, pay a minimal tour fee, and that you agree to participate in the following events:
- All class meeting times: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 12:45–1:50 pm
- Informational meeting: Thursday, August 25, 7:00–8:00 pm
- Fall retreat: Friday, August 26 @ 4:00 pm – Sunday, August 28 @ 2:00 pm (off-campus)
- Fall semester events:
- AVoice4Peace: Wednesday, September 21, 11:00 am–1:00 pm
- International Conference on the Blues: Monday or Tuesday, October 3 or 4 (exact date/time TBD)
- MMEA District II College Night: Monday, October 24, 4:00–11:00 pm
- Percussion Ensemble Concert: November 17, 7:00–8:00 pm
- Handel’s MESSIAH: Monday, November 28, 1:00–4:00 pm (dress rehearsal), 7:00–10:00 pm (concert)
- Other performances and events TBA
- Spring semester events:
- DSU Honor Choir: February 10–12
- Exchange concert with Eastern Michigan University: February 24
- Spring tour (Mississippi, Alabama, Florida): March 9–19
- Workshop at Mississippi ACDA/MMEA Conference: March 23 or 24
- Other performances and events TBA
Please note that Chorale is an ALL-YEAR COMMITMENT (i.e., both fall and spring semesters). Exceptions will be made for students graduating in December and for those studying off-campus in the spring.
If none of the available audition times work for you or if you are concerned about a class or schedule conflict, please still audition! Contact Dr. Potter to find an alternative time or to discuss potential conflicts.
Remember, please sign up for an audition time here!
Scholarships are awarded based on demonstrated performance abilities and are available to music majors and non-music majors. Auditions occur on specially designated days during the spring semester.