Division of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation
The BSE Program in Physical Education provides students the skills and knowledge to develop fitness and wellness programs, provide education to K-12 year students, and promote activities to enhance quality of life.
Through a multidisciplinary approach, students gain the skills necessary to work with individuals and diverse groups in a variety of settings that includes schools, community health centers, hospitals, recreation centers, and workplace environments.
- Students learn to use exercise, sport, games, recreation and dance to develop instructionally and developmentally appropriate programs for children and adolescents. These programs foster a healthy lifestyle and encourage the development of self-esteem and multicultural awareness.
- Courses within the department provide the opportunity to focus on the role of physical activity for athletic performance, disease prevention, and rehabilitation.
- To supplement the bachelor’s degree program, Delta State offers a master’s degree program that leads to a Mississippi State teaching certification. The division also offers dual certification in health and physical education.
- Students may also choose to minor in health, sports management, exercise science, recreation or physical education. Each minor requires 18-21 credits in a specific area of study determined in conjunction with the adviser.
- The Physical Education Majors Club provides students a social involvement outlet. Students are encouraged to join the club during their first semester and to take advantage of membership in state, regional, and national health and physical education-related academic and advocacy association.
Courses for a Bachelor of Science in Education with a concentration in Physical Education include the general requirements, major core courses, and specialized training in Physical Education.
Please contact the program coordinator for the course lists.
Ms. Britnee Smith
Coordinator, Physical Education Teacher Preparation
662.846.4572 | Wyatt Center Office 112