Delta State University promotes Dr. Leslie Griffin to Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs

By June 3, 2024Academics
Dr. Leslie Griffin has been promoted to Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

CLEVELAND, Miss. — Delta State University is pleased to announce the promotion of Dr. Leslie Griffin to Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, pending approval from the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL). Dr. Griffin will officially begin her role on July 1, 2024.

Griffin has served as Interim Provost at Delta State since September 2023. Prior to that role, Griffin had served as Dean of the College of Education and Human Sciences (COEHS) since 2007. Under her leadership, and through the collaborative teamwork of faculty and staff and myriad external partners, the COEHS achieved a noteworthy record of continued accreditation for its programs, successfully transitioned the majority of advanced programs to online formats to make them accessible to a broader range of students, and secured millions of dollars in scholarship funding to attract and support students.

Griffin has worked at Delta State University since 1998 serving in numerous other roles, including Professor of Teacher Education, Chair of the Division of Teacher Education, Coordinator of Undergraduate Studies in Elementary Education, and Associate Professor of Elementary Education.

Griffin holds a Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Mississippi. She received her Master of Education in Administration and Supervision and her Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education from Delta State.

The Provost Search Committee, chaired by Dr. Vicki Bingham, dean of the Robert E. Smith School of Nursing, conducted a national search and reviewed numerous candidates.

Delta State President Dr. Daniel J. Ennis said, “After meeting with the finalists, I concluded that we have what we need right here. I am pleased that Dr. Griffin has accepted my offer to serve as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, pending IHL approval. Griffin’s extensive experience and dedication to Delta State University have been instrumental in moving the Academy to the next level, and her leadership will be pivotal in addressing the challenges and opportunities ahead.”

Griffin said, “I appreciate the opportunity that President Ennis has afforded me to serve Delta State University—my alma mater, an institution that is central to the region, and a place where I have had the good fortune to work with so many outstanding colleagues, mentors, and students on shared goals and purposes. I am committed to the important work ahead at Delta State University – and look forward to any day in which I can collaborate with students, colleagues, alumni, and supporters in furthering our mission.”

For more information about the Delta State University, visit https://www.deltastate.edu.