DSU Music professor coaches vocal student to first place at conference

By April 11, 2024Music

CLEVELAND, Miss. — Dr. Jamie Dahman, Associate Professor of Music at Delta State, recently attended the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) Mississippi Chapter Conference and Student Auditions held at the University of Mississippi in Oxford. One of his private high school students, Lille Baughman of Indianola, won first prize in her category: High School Trebles. Baughman has been studying voice with Dahman since 2021.

Dahman said, “Lillie has been taking voice lessons with me since her freshman year in high school. She’s enthusiastic, loves singing, and I’ve enjoyed seeing her grow as a singer and musician. This was her first singing competition, and she won her division. I’m very proud!”

Dahman has previously served the Mississippi Chapter of NATS as Auditions Chair and is currently serving as Vice President/President-elect. He was elected to the office of VP/PE in November 2022 and again in 2023. He will move into the role of President in June 2024 and serve a two-year term. He said, “I look forward to continuing to serve my colleagues in the NATS organization and bringing my students to the conference and auditions.”

NATS is a national professional and academic organization dedicated to teaching singing across all genres, voice science, pedagogy, and repertoire. The Mississippi Chapter is a part of the Southern Region, alongside Louisiana and Arkansas. For more information about the NATS, visit https://www.natssouthern.com/mississippi.