DSU Senior Awarded Colgate-Palmolive Scholarship

CLEVELAND, Miss. — Delta State University College of Business and Aviation senior Miya Sanders of Hollandale has been awarded one of the inaugural Colgate-Palmolive Inspire Our Future scholarships. Sanders and nine other finalists from around the country were awarded $10,000 educational scholarships to pursue supply chain, engineering, sales, and marketing degrees.

According to the scholarship website, selection was based on academic record, demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities, work experience, a statement of educational and career goals and objectives, and online recommendations. The awards are renewable for up to two years or until a bachelor’s degree is earned, whichever occurs first. Recipients can use funds not only towards tuition at an accredited college or university, but also for other educational expenses like on-campus housing, textbooks, laptops, and more.

The scholarship program is designed to encourage and support African American students who demonstrate a sustained commitment to supporting their communities.

Sanders said that she was made aware of the program by her sister, Vernetta, who forwarded her a Colgate-Palmolive social media post. She said, “The application process was challenging. First, I had to fill out the application and provide two letters of recommendation in March. In May, I was selected as a semifinalist, and I had an interview with the scholarship committee. In June, I was selected as one of the ten winners.”

The application included an essay and details about her college experience, along with her basic information. Sanders is pursuing a double major in Human Resource Management and General Business Administration.

Sanders said, “The fact that my college expenses are fully covered until I graduate is a blessing. I thank God, my mother Diana, my sisters Vernetta and Janae, and my brothers Horatio and Vamet, who all contributed to my success.”

Sanders is the third Delta State business student to win a major scholarship this year. Earlier in the year, Keshawn Jennings, a finance major, was awarded the Swayze Medallion, which is presented annually by the Mississippi Banker’s Association (MBA) to an outstanding college senior studying banking and finance at state-supported universities in Mississippi. In September, junior finance major Tyler Goad was selected to receive the MBA Education Foundation Leadership Scholarship.

Interim Assistant Dean of the College of Business and Aviation and Assistant Professor of Marketing Dr. Lisa Cooley said, “We are so proud when students in the College of Business and Aviation are recognized for their achievements. This year alone, three of our students have obtained highly competitive scholarships worth nearly $20,000 total. This speaks to not only the quality of our students, but also to the quality of our programs.”

For more information on the Delta State University College of Business and Aviation, visit deltastate.edu/college-of-business. For information about the Colgate-Palmolive Inspire Our Future scholarship program and to see a list of other winners, click here.