DSU Senior Awarded Kappa Delta Foundation Scholarship

By August 2, 2023Student Life, VISTA
DSU Senior Hannah Ashley

CLEVELAND, Miss. Hannah Ashley, a senior Elementary Education major at Delta State University, was recently awarded the Erma Metz Brown Scholarship from the Kappa Delta National Foundation. The scholarship is an undergraduate merit based scholarship for $2000. All scholarship recipients received special recognition at this years’ 65th National Kappa Delta Convention this summer in Washington D.C.

Ashley said, “Joining a Greek organization has been one of the best decisions I have ever made, and it has directly impacted my college experience.”

Before beginning her freshman year of college, Ashley said that she did not know many incoming or current students attending Delta State. “Because of this, I was eager to go through sorority recruitment to meet new people and make friends,” she said. “Being a part of Greek life at Delta State is the best way to get involved on campus and in the Cleveland community. My Kappa Delta sisters have helped me by encouraging me to get involved on campus through SGA and other organizations, helping me find job opportunities in the Cleveland area, and giving me true and lasting friendships that have been my support system through all of my years at Delta State.”

According to the Kappa Delta National Foundation website, the foundation offers undergraduate and graduate scholarships to support student members of Kappa Delta in their academic endeavors. The foundation also funds speakers for various events such as their annual national convention, internship opportunities in the arts and orthopedic research, leadership training, and more.

Ashley said, “Kappa Delta has impacted my educational success by prioritizing academics and having accountability systems in place to ensure that I strive to be the best student I can be. Joining Greek life has given me the opportunity to join in and stand out here at Delta State University.”

Elizabeth Branton, Assistant Director of Student Life at DSU said, “The Office of Student Life at Delta State commends Miss Ashley for her academic success and her excellence both inside and outside of the classroom.”

For more information about the Office of Student Life at DSU visit deltastate.edu/student-affairs.