DSU President Ennis Speaks to Jackson Area Alumni

By July 26, 2023Alumni
DSU President Dan Ennis accepts a gift from the Greater Jackson Area Alumni Chapter President Wendy Stevens prior to addressing the alumni gathered at the Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum Thursday night.

CLEVELAND, Miss. — Delta State University’s 9th president, Dr. Dan Ennis, spoke to Jackson area alumni for the first time Thursday, July 20 at the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Museum. Over 60 former Statesmen and Lady Statesmen enjoyed refreshments catered by Iron Horse Grill. Beverages were donated by Capital City Beverage and Causeway Wine and Spirits.

Director of Alumni Affairs Corley Mullins said, “This is Dr. Ennis’ first time to speak to an alumni chapter and everyone on the committee is very excited to have him here.”

Following a social hour, Ennis spoke to the group, saying, “What I have learned is that I have an army behind me. The affection that you have for Delta State and the warm welcome that I have received is all the encouragement I need.”

Ennis stressed the connection that he immediately felt with DSU from his initial research as he was considering pursuing the position he now holds. “I can tell you that I cannot compete with you in the longevity of your love for Delta State,” he said, “but I will put down my love and affection for the institution right here, right now, at this podium, and tell you that I’m not here just to be an administrator, I’m here because I believe that that institution is special, it’s important, and it deserves everything I can give it.”

He concluded his remarks by saying, “The story of Delta State moved me. I will tell you that I love Delta State University. I love it for what it has been, and I love it for what it can be, and I love it because I was given the privilege to become part of it. And so, I will do everything I can to justify the faith that people have put in me, and we can all build the future of the institution together.”

Following Ennis’ address, Mullins and Wendy Stevens, president of the Jackson chapter, presented certificates to the two students receiving scholarships from the chapter. Dwight Luckett, Jr. of Canton and Aidan Guilfoyle of Madison are incoming freshmen and will start classes at DSU this fall.

Stevens said, “We are super excited to offer two scholarships from our chapter to very deserving recipients. We have a long-standing tradition within our chapter to sponsor two students from this chapter and look forward to continuing that tradition.”

Jackson area alum Frank Drennan was also presented with an award for his years of service and dedication to the chapter.

The next DSU alumni event will be held August 19 at the Snowden House in Southaven. Ennis will again speak to the chapter. For tickets or for more information about the DSU Alumni Association, visit deltastategiving.org.