Statesman Spotlight: Shukira King

CLEVELAND, Miss. – Shukira King, a native of Senatobia, graduated from Delta State University in 2022 with a Bachelor of Business Administration in Healthcare Administration. Currently serving as an admissions recruiter, she will graduate with a Master of Business Administration with an emphasis in Healthcare Administration from DSU in Spring 2024. Get to know her in this Statesman Spotlight.

Why did you choose your major?

Without a medical degree or direct patient care expertise, I can make a difference behind the scenes. A healthcare career provides a unique opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives while working in an ever-changing profession. Working as a healthcare administrator will give me the ability to influence lives by providing the finest patient experience possible.

What groups were you involved in on campus as an undergraduate student?

I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, the Student Government Association’s Director of Spirit and Traditions, a member of the Business Student Advisory Committee, an Orientation Leader, a Student Advancement Ambassador, a member of The National Society of Leadership and Success, a Student Success Navigator, and the secretary of the National Pan Hellenic Council.

What are your long-term career aspirations?

I’d like to be viewed as a valued asset inside a business, as well as a strong colleague that others view as reliable and attentive.

Why did you choose Delta State?

I was drawn to Delta State because of its academic reputation and because I knew several others from my high school who graduated from here ahead of me. Delta State has more than lived up to its academic reputation. I’ve discovered academic chances for personal growth and development, as well as opportunities to increase my knowledge beyond the classroom. The majority of the professors in my area of study have real-world experience outside of academia, and it shows. The professors and advisors in the College of Business and Aviation were critical in providing me with the keys to success after graduation.

What’s an interesting fact most people don’t know about you?

I have a few. The best place I’ve visited was Paris, France when I was 9 years old. Also, it’s been a pleasure to represent the student body in various roles as Most Beautiful 2022, Homecoming Queen 2022, Top Student Volunteer 2022, and inducted into the DSU Hall of Fame.

What’s your go-to road trip snack?

I’m not a big snacker, but when I travel, I would like to have cheddar and sour cream ruffles with chips ahoy chewy cookies.

What’s at the top of your travel bucket list and why?

New York, New York is a destination at the top of my bucket list. The sights are spectacular, especially during the Christmas season.

What’s your favorite restaurant in Cleveland?

No Way Jose is my favorite. I appreciate their customer service, the food is always delicious, and the atmosphere is second to none.

Who are 1 or 2 people who have made a big impact on your life?

Many people have shaped me into the person I am today. Those individuals have had an impact on my character and values. My mother, on the other hand, has had a significant impact on me. The constant love and support that I receive from my mom makes me respect her even more. She is my family’s sole breadwinner. She has always had a strong personality, attempting to guide and grow me into a great person for a better tomorrow. My mother has faced many adversities without the assistance of others, and witnessing her perseverance has taught me that you don’t need anyone to overcome any hardships. In everything she has done for us, I see her strength, persistence, and tremendous love for her family, attributes I wish to replicate in my own life. I  know I didn’t always make things easy for her with me being so involved, but I truly appreciate everything she’s done for me. She has molded me into the woman I am today. Mama, I love you.