Statesman Spotlight: Michael Tucker

CLEVELAND, Miss. – Michael Tucker, from Greenville, is expected to graduate from the Robert E. Smith School of Nursing at Delta State University in December 2023. Get to know him in this Statesman Spotlight.

Why did you choose your major?

Nursing involves two things that I find interesting and am passionate about, science and caring for those in need. Nursing is a way for me to give and care for those that are in need. Nothing beats the feeling when a patient says thank you and means it.

What groups are you involved in on campus?

I am currently in Student Nurses Association, Omicron Delta Kappa, and Tri Beta. In my previous four years I have served on the Student Government Association and as President of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity.

What are your long-term career aspirations?

My long-term goal is to go back to school and become and Emergency Nurse Practitioner, but that will be after I work for a few years and hopefully do travel nursing.

Why did you choose Delta State?

I chose Delta State because I knew I wanted a smaller university, and they have one of the top nursing programs in the state. I came and toured while I was still and high school and fell in love with this campus and was able to get a glimpse of how much the teachers care when going through the departments.

What’s an interesting fact most people don’t know about you?

I love to bake!

What’s your go-to road trip snack?

My go to road trip snack is sunflower seeds.

What’s at the top of your travel bucket list and why?

Traveling to all 50 states is at the top of my bucket list because I have lived in the Delta my whole life and want to experience life outside of this bubble.

What’s your favorite restaurant in Cleveland?

My favorite restaurant would have to be Hey Joe’s, the atmosphere is relaxed and it’s a great spot to meet with friends and just hang out for a while.

Who are 1 or 2 people who have made a big impact in your life?

The most impactful person in my life would be my mom. Since coming to college, I have been able to truly see how hard she works and how much she cares for her family and everyone she comes into contact with. She serves as an example of what it means to be selfless even when it makes life a little harder on her.