Delta State Alumni and Faculty Win MCTM Awards

(L to R) Rebecca Hudson, MCTM 2022 High School Teacher of the Year, Dr. Lee Dean, MCTM 2022 College Teacher of the Year, and Sarah Stevens, 2022 Patricia Hensley Scholarship Recipient

CLEVELAND, Miss.— The Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics presented awards, scholarships and grants to member teachers around the state during their fall conference, held October 21-22 at Northwest Rankin High School in Flowood. DSU students Ashley Bailey, Becca Hahn, Annalise Johnson, Brenda Barton, and Celeste Turner attended the conference courtesy of DSU’s Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion which funded the students’ registration fees for the conference. 

2019 DSU graduate Sarah Stevens was awarded the Patricia Hensley Memorial Scholarship. Stevens is a math teacher at Cleveland Central Middle School. The scholarship is named in honor of Patricia Hensley, a math instructor in the learning lab at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College for over 20 years, known to her peers as “The TI Calculator Queen.” 

“I was thrilled when I received the Patricia Hensley Memorial Scholarship,” Stevens said. “Opportunities such as this don’t come to our school often so I was proud I could help provide materials needed to help our students be more successful in the classroom. I applied after receiving information about the scholarship from Dr. Liza Bondurant. Without her, I don’t know that I would have been able to make such a difference for our students.” 

2017 DSU graduate Rebecca Hudson won the High School Teacher of the Year award. Hudson is a math teacher at Brandon High School. Current DSU Associate Professor of Mathematics Dr. Lee Dean was recognized as the College Teacher of the Year.  

Dean said, “I was very surprised and excited to be awarded College Teacher of the Year for Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Making the experience even more rewarding, two of my former Delta State University students were also honored.” 

DSU faculty members Dr. Bette Putnam and Dr. Liza Bondurant, along with the award winners, made two presentations at the conference. 

For more information about the Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics, visit mctmonline.com.