CLEVELAND, Miss. – A recent Delta State University graduate and two current students are spending the spring semester interning at the happiest place on Earth, Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

The Disney College Program allows participants to gain work experience with a world-renowned company, providing uniquely Disney learning experiences, all while preparing for their future and building transferable skills, including networking, problem solving, teamwork and effective communication.

Disney offers a wide array of career opportunities in areas like business support, consumer goods, customer service, marketing and sales, and production and entertainment.

For Kady Smith, an animation major, her internship at Hollywood Studios involves assisting in maintaining product presentation, assisting guests in the park and resorts by providing exceptional guest service and offering feedback and ideas on how to assist sales and efficiency in his location.

Smith was initially interested in Delta State for the animation major, the only one in the state of Mississippi, and knew the Disney internship would be a great fit because Disney prides itself on animation and creativity.

“My education at DSU definitely helped me with the professional development needed in order to get this internship, and knowledge about animation and art practices helped inform me more about what I do and say day-to-day,” she said.

A Grenada, Miss., native, Smith is expected to graduate in Fall 2022 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Digital Media Arts.

Tabatha Ott, another animation major, works primarily in outdoor food vending where she serves guests snacks at food carts, as well as greeting and interacting with Disney guests.

Tabatha Ott

Ott expressed that her time at DSU has helped her in this internship in many ways including being independent and how to problem solve.

“There have been times where I needed to figure things out in order to help a guest, how to manage money just like how I did when I lived in the dorms. The Art department definitely fosters the curiosity and imagination of the students, and being an art major, I was curious enough to ask around and try to think outside of the box with my job such as how to interact with guests and how to make their experience magical.”

The Hernando, Miss., native is expected to graduate in 2023 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Digital Media Arts.

Daniel Black

Daniel Black received a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing in December 2021. The Kearney, Mo., native spends his internship working at the Rivera resort where he acts as a house person cleaning his designated floor of the resort.

While Black is grateful for the lessons he has learned in his current internship, he is seeking a subsequent opportunity that will allow him to incorporate what he has learned as a student in the College of Business and Aviation.

“Delta State’s curriculum has prepared me for this internship by showing me how to be a hard worker and manage my time well,” he said. “I am currently working on getting a higher-up internship within the company and that is where more of the marketing curriculum that I was taught will come into play.”

For students interested in pursuing internships like the Disney College Program, they are encouraged to reach out to the Office of Career Services. They assist undergraduate and graduate students and alumni in discovering, preparing for, and continuing their careers. Services include document consultations, mock interviews, professional coaching, internship/job search planning, workshops and on-campus interviews, among other things.

For Career Services assistance, contact the office via email at careerservices@deltastate.edu or via phone at 662-846-4646.

For more information on the College of Business and Aviation, visit https://www.deltastate.edu/college-of-business/. For more information on the degree offerings in the Bachelor of Fine Arts, visit https://www.deltastate.edu/art/bachelor-of-fine-arts/.