Delta State Environmental Science Students Receive Two of Three Mississippi Association of Conservation Districts $5,000 Scholarships

Delta State University environmental science students received two of the three $5,000 scholarships from the Mississippi Association of Conservation Districts (MACD) this year. Senior Michael Zarske and sophomore Katelyn Tramel are the latest Delta State students to earn the distinction. 

“I want to thank my professor, Dr. Nina Baghai-Riding, professor of biology and environmental science, for letting me and my classmates know about the scholarship and pushing all of us to apply for it,” said Zarske, who hails from Gulfport, Miss., and also is pursuing a wildlife management concentration.

“Delta Sate offers true opportunities for students like me to work very closely with professors, and I appreciate the time they dedicate to our success,” said Tramel, who is from Grenada. “I am particularly thankful to Dr. Baghai-Riding; Dr. AHM Reza, associate professor of biology; and Dr. James Gerald, associate professor of physics, for encouraging me to apply for this award and writing a letter of recommendation.”

Katelyn Tramel

Applicants were judged on grade point average, leadership qualities, financial need, and letters of reference, among other criteria. The scholarship is for juniors, seniors, and graduate students enrolled in a college or university in Mississippi.

“We’re excited about their achievements,” said Dr. Baghai-Riding. “I’ve worked with both of them on a number of projects, and I’m always impressed by their efforts.”

Several other Delta State environmental science students have received MACD scholarships in the past including Christine Beck, Emily Bodin, Bobby Horne, and Autumn Hanson.

Established in 1945, MACD is a non-profit, non-governmental organization comprised of the state’s 82 soil and water conservation districts. It promote the conservation of Mississippi’s natural resources through education and outreach.