McNair scholars attend national conference

Left to right: Charles Walker, Porsche Chambers, Ashley Griffin, Syed Mohammed Amanuddin and Bria Goodson.

Several McNair Research Scholars at Delta State University attended the 19th National Conference for McNair Scholars and Undergraduate Research at the University of Maryland in College Park, Maryland from March 14-18.

The scholars in attendance were Charles Walker, Porsche Chambers, Ashley Griffin, Syed Mohammed Amanuddin and Bria Goodson. The students participated in a guided campus walking tour of the University of Maryland and of the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

The scholars attended scholarly activities and workshops that discussed research topics, stress in college, identifying graduate schools and scholarships, and effective public speaking strategies. They also listened and judged other McNair Scholar’s oral and poster presentations. In addition, they participated in a graduate school fair.

There were 51 other institutions present from around the country, with Delta State being the only group from Mississippi.

Wendolyn Stevens, McNair Research Scholars program director at Delta State, also attended the conference.

“Overall, the trip was a great experience,” said Stevens. “We learned from other scholars, program directors and presenters. It was great connecting and seeing other student research.”

Syed Mohammed Amanuddin also enjoyed the opportunity.

“This year, I had a great experience attending the McNair Conference at University of Maryland. This conference gave me the opportunity to network with some of the greatest and smartest scholars all over the nation. Attending different sessions and workshops offered me the opportunity to extend my horizon in research techniques, applying for grad school, and to learn more about different masters and doctoral programs I never knew existed.”

“Some of the keynote speakers were really inspiring and motivated me in several ways to push myself further and work harder to achieve my goals in life,” he added. “I believe this trip to Maryland has prepared me more for my future journey in higher education than I was before. Along with scholarly activities, the conference also offered us an opportunity to explore the beauty of D.C. and know more about its heritage. Overall, the conference was a complete package of entertainment and learning. I am excited to attend in 2019 and hopefully present my research, and share my thoughts and ideas with some of the great minds in the country.”

The Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program was established in memory of astronaut-physicist and Challenger crewmember Ronald E. McNair. The program is administered through Delta State University’s Office of Graduate & Continuing Studies. McNair is one of eight TRiO programs funded by the U.S. Department of Education.

The goal is to increase the attainment of doctoral degrees by students from underrepresented segments of society.