Student newspaper relaunches on web

Members of The Delta Statement online version include: (front, l to r) Katherine White, Rebecca Carroll, Jontil Coleman, Alecia Wilson, (back l to r) Micheal Smith (advisor), Najawon Wilson, Aallyah Wright, Sheldon Ransom and Adrienne Berard (advisor). Missing from the picture are Gared Watkins and Jimmiera Chillis.

Delta State University’s 83-year-old student newspaper, The Delta Statement, entered a new chapter as a strictly digital publication on Feb. 12. The Statement’s move online comes at a time when newspapers across the country are struggling to keep up with a rapidly changing media landscape.

The digital version can be found at www.deltastatement.com.

“At first, I was a little skeptical about the digital publication of The Delta Statement because I was so accustomed to print,” said Aallyah Wright, the paper’s editor-in-chief. “After knowing that there are so many different ways stories can be enhanced due to an online outlet, I became overly excited. Now, we can add audio, slideshows and videos to stories to change the way a person visualizes or hears a story. We can add polls to survey students about their likes or dislike. Using the Internet is a part of everyone’s agenda in this day and age, and I feel like we will be able to reach more than DSU students, but a mass audience.”

While still in print, The Delta Statement received numerous awards from the Mississippi Press Association and the Southeast Journalism Conference. The relaunched digital version will continue to support student excellence in journalism.

“As journalists, we have to learn to adapt to changes in our industry,” said Adrienne Berard, instructor of journalism and faculty advisor to the Statement. “The future of journalism is online, and I’m excited to help students see the thrilling potential in digital storytelling. I look forward to the meaningful work they will produce as the voice of our student body.”