Tabb to retire after years of Delta State dedication

By October 9, 2015Faculty/Staff
Dr. Myrtis Tabb

Delta State University will gather to thank one of its retiring employees, Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration, Dr. Myrtis Tabb, who began working for the institution in 1991.

Fittingly, the Bologna Performing Arts Center on campus will host her retirement ceremony Oct. 16 from 2-4 p.m. In her role at Delta State, Tabb supervised the BPAC staff and played a major role in its success.

She also provided leadership to the Human Resources Office, Office for Institutional Grants, and served as the contract liaison for Ellucian, the company providing informational technology services on campus.

Additionally, she served as a member of the President’s Cabinet, Title lX coordinator, chair of the University Naming Committee, chair of the Jimmy and Hazel Sanders Sculpture Garden, and provided leadership to the B. F. Smith Scholars Program.

“Delta State University is a wonderful institution and the contributions this institution makes to the region and state are impossible to count,” said Tabb. “I have enjoyed working with President LaForge, other administrators, and faculty and staff as they provide positive vision for the future of Delta State. I will continue to support this great institution as a retiree.

“I am having a difficult time walking away from my association with Delta State University. I enjoy the people and the challenges of the work. However, it is obvious that this is the right time for me to begin a new chapter of my life. I look forward to spending more time with my family and my friends.”

Along with being a dedicated employee, Tabb impressively completed four degrees at Delta State: Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, Master of Education in Elementary Education and Supervision, Educational Specialist Degree (1991) and Ed. D. (1994).

She has also authored or co-authored several successful grant applications from a variety of funding sources, and continues to facilitate creative solutions for the university and Delta region.

Her community efforts are extensive, as she serves on the following boards: Bolivar County Medical Hospital Foundation Board, Mississippi Delta National Heritage Board, Planters’ Bank Board, chair of Cleveland/Bolivar Chamber of Commerce Tourism Council, and International Women’s Forum-Mississippi. She serves as president-elect of the Women’s Forum and will be installed as president in 2016. She has also served for several years as a member of the board of the Delta Arts Alliance and the president of the Cleveland/Bolivar County Chamber of Commerce.

Having collaborated with so many university and community members over the years, Tabb said she would deeply miss working with these leaders on a daily basis.

“The highlight of my career has been my association with all the people I have met,” she said. “In every role, I have had the opportunity to meet and learn from some of the most amazing people. I will always be grateful for the friendships made along the way.”

Tabb and her husband, Billy, are the proud parents of Tracy and Randy Dye and Leslie and Bill Ryan Tabb. They have five grandchildren — Daniel, Madeline and Jacob Dye and Collins and Annsley Tabb.

The retirement ceremony will feature a short program at 3 p.m. DMI director Tricia Walker will perform a song, and remarks will be made by President William N. LaForge, Christy Riddle and Laura Howell.

Personal messages are being collected for a memory book. Those interested in contributing are asked to provide submissions by mail to: DSU Box 3232, Cleveland, MS, 38732 or by email to criddle@deltastate.edu.

tabb retire