Marker honoring Capps unveiled on Delta State’s campus

By July 30, 2007General

Retired State Representative Charlie Capps, Jr. (center) is congratulated by Delta State University President John M. Hilpert (at left) on the occasion of a granite marker being placed by the oak tree that was planted on the DSU Quadrangle in 2003. Hugh Long (right) represented the Mississippi Council of Veterans’ Organizations at the event.

A gray granite marker now adorns the Delta State University quadrangle in honor of long-time Mississippi legislator, Charlie Capps, Jr. The marker sits in front of an oak tree originally planted in July 2003 by the Mississippi Council of Veterans’ Organizations.

“Today concludes what we started in 2003,” Hugh Long, Chairman of the Mississippi Council of Veterans’ Organizations explained. “And, today offers us another opportunity to recognize and honor the many contributions of Mr. Charlie Capps. We hope that in 150, 200 years, students and passer-bys will see this marker and wonder who Charlie Capps was and what he did. Perhaps, they’ll go the library and look him up.

“What they’ll find is Mr. Capps served his country honorably, both in military service and public service. They’ll find he is a friend to this state, a true ‘Statesman’ personified and a fellow veteran. We are proud to recognize him today,” Long concluded.

In response Capps humbly offered, “I thank you for today. I am honored to see all of you here.

“I was a soldier and an officer in World War II, and I am proud of my service. I am proud to be a veteran. The Mississippi Council of Veterans’ Organizations is important to me. It has represented a big part of my life, and I am so thankful for this honor,” he continued.

“In closing, I just ask all of you to continue to support all of our veterans and to continue to support our troops out there battling now. They deserve our support,” Capps finished.

Capps served as a legislator from House District 28 for 33 years, after first being elected in 1971. A former sheriff, he served as chairman of the Constitution Committee, Chairman of the Appropriations Committee (1983-2003) and as a member of the Military Affairs committee among others. He retired from the Legislature in 2005.

Delta State President, Dr. John M. Hilpert, commented, “Dr. Capps as he is known to us after receiving an honorary degree – the first honorary degree ever bestowed by Delta State – has always been a friend to us. It is an honor for Delta State to have this tree dedicated to him on our campus.”

Also represented on the day included members of American Legion, National Guard and Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW).