Robert E. Smith School of Nursing
About the Program
Students applying to the Post-Master’s Certificate program are registered nurses with a current RN license and a Master of Science in Nursing degree, but seeking another role concentration or certificate.
While the application deadline is February 1st, you may apply to the graduate nursing program anytime throughout the year. Once your file folder is complete, you will be notified and an interview scheduled. Students considered for full admission to the graduate program in the Robert E. Smith School of Nursing must meet the following requirements by February 1st:
- Apply to Delta State University Graduate School and meet admission requirements as outlined in the Delta State University Graduate Bulletin.
- Meet admission requirements to the Robert E. Smith School of Nursing Graduate Program as follows:
- Master of Science degree in Nursing with a minimum GPA of 3.00 overall.
- Completion of Robert E. Smith School of Nursing Master of Science in Nursing Program Application.
- At least one year of continuous clinical nursing experience as a Registered Nurse for Nurse Administrator and Nurse Educator.
- At least one year of continuous clinical nursing experience with patient contact as a RN within the past three years for Nurse Practitioner.
- Submission of a resume’ (further information included in the application packet).
- Completion of an advanced role in nursing statement as noted in the Robert E. Smith School of Nursing Master of Science in Nursing Program Application.
- A copy of a current unencumbered registered nurse license to practice in the state in which the student will perform clinical.
- Three current (< 1 year) letters of professional/academic reference. At least one reference must be academic in nature.
- Completion of an interview with Robert E. Smith School of Nursing faculty prior to admission with a score of 50 or better (application packet must be complete before an interview is scheduled).
- A grade of “C” or better on a graduate level pathophysiology course (applies only to nurse practitioner and educator tracks).
- Writing sample may be required during interview.
** Exception to the noted admission requirements may be considered by the Graduate Nursing Program Committee
Each student will be required to submit a completed health and immunization form provided by the Robert E. Smith School of Nursing, evidence of personal health insurance and current BLS certification (infant, child, adult) after being accepted for admission.
Applicants must comply with Mississippi legislative statues and regulations regarding criminal background checks by having fingerprints taken at an approved health care agency (not a police or sheriff’s department) and a criminal background check completed. Any cost of this requirement will be the student’s responsibility.
Applicants who want to receive credit for prior nursing course(s) taken at another institution must submit a written request with supporting documentation and credit be negotiated before admission to the Robert E. Smith School of Nursing and not after the student is enrolled.
Post-Master’s Nurse Administrator Certificate
Students who already have a Master’s Degree in Nursing may be admitted to selected courses necessary as a nurse administrator.
Total Program Credit Hours: 33
|NUR 604 Advanced Healthcare Policy and Politics||2|
|NUR 607 Instructional Methodologies||2|
|NUR 615 Administrative Concepts||2|
|NUR 616 Nursing Administration I||1|
|NUR 619 Nursing Administration II||1|
|NUR 622 Nursing Administration III-Role Synthesis||2|
|NUR 645 Administrative Concepts Practicum||1|
|NUR 646 Administrative I Practicum||3|
|NUR 649 Nursing Administration II Practicum||3|
|NUR 652 Nursing Administration III-Role Synthesis Practicum||4|
|MGT 600 Management Problems||3|
|MGT 605 Human Resource Management||3|
|MGT 620 Recruitment, Selection & Performance Appraisal||3|
|MBA 505 Productivity Software for Executives||3|
Post-Master’s “Fast Track” Nurse Educator Certificate
Students who already have a Master’s degree in Nursing may be admitted to selected courses necessary for national certification as a nurse educator.
Total Program Credit Hours: 11
|NUR 607 Instructional Methodologies||2|
|NUR 621 Role Synthesis (Nurse Educators)||2|
|NUR 617 Curriculum Design and Evaluation||3|
|NUR 618 Nurse Educator Practicum||4|
|*NUR 603 Advanced Pathophysiology (3 credit hours) – required pre-requisite|
Post-Master’s Family Nurse Practioner Certificate
A limited number of students who already have a master’s degree in nursing may be admitted to selected courses necessary for national certification as a family nurse practitioner.
Total Program Credit Hours: 41
|NUR 602 Advanced Health Assessment||3|
|NUR 625 Advanced Health Assessment Practicum||3|
|NUR 604 Advanced Healthcare Policy & Politics||2|
|NUR 605 Advanced Pharmacology||3|
|NUR 624 Differential Diagnosis in Primary Care||2|
|NUR 630 Family Nurse Practice I||3|
|NUR 631 Family Nurse Practice I Practicum||4|
|NUR 634 Family Nurse Practice II||3|
|NUR 635 Family Nurse Practice II Practicum||5|
|NUR 638 Family Nurse Practice III||2|
|NUR 639 Family Nurse Practice III Practicum||5|
|NUR 620 Role Synthesis (Nurse Practitioners)||2|
|NUR 640 Informatics in Clinical Practice||2|
|NUR 680 Family Nurse Practitioner Review Course||2|