Odoms named Cochran fellow

By December 8, 2015Academics, Students
Zack Odoms

Delta State University biology major Zack Odoms was recently selected as a 2016 Congressional Fellow for U.S. Senator Thad Cochran of Mississippi.

Much like previous Delta State fellows who’ve spent semesters in the nation’s capital, Odoms will gain firsthand experience working with one of Mississippi’s most respected leaders.

Beginning in early January, Odoms will pack his bags and get a taste of politics from inside the Washington, D.C. beltway. The program aims to provide a better understanding of the legislative process by serving on Cochran’s staff.

“I’m really looking forward to traveling to our nation’s capital, sitting in on the election process, seeing the White House and all the experiences this will provide me,” said Odoms, a Pascagoula native.”I’m extremely honored and humbled to be selected. I know this will be a great opportunity for my career in general.”

The biology major said he was excited to focus on healthcare policies during his time in Washington, as any policy changes will directly impact the clients he will one day serve as a physical therapist.

Odoms, currently enlisted in the U.S. Army, said he had respect for Cochran because of service in the U.S. Navy.

“I also have great respect for Sen. Cochran because he represents our country and our state,” he said. “I’m honored to learn from him. I know the experience will open doors for me.”

Delta State has a long-running tradition of sending fellows to Washington. Davlon Miller, director of Delta State Career Services, orchestrated the committee to select this year’s candidate.

“The committee felt strongly that Odoms was the right candidate to represent the Delta and Delta State,” said Miller. “He possesses a great deal of knowledge about our culture, and he represents the green and white very well.”

Miller said the fellowship is funded through Delta State, the Delta Council and Staplcotn. Additionally, Odoms will receive a stipend from Cochran’s office.

The Delta Council is an area economic development organization representing the 18 Delta and part-Delta counties of Northwest Mississippi. The organization pioneers efforts to solve common problems and promote the development of the local economy. Founded in 1921, Staplcotn (Staple Cotton Cooperative Association) is the oldest and one of the largest cotton marketing cooperatives in the United States.