Division of Mathematics & Sciences
Delta State is a 4-year public university located in Cleveland, MS, two hours north of Jackson and south of Memphis. Our 10:1 Student to teacher ratio is significantly smaller than other universities in the state. Outstanding Faculty holds advanced degrees and real-world experiences in industry and education.
Math Degrees Offered
- Bachelor of Science (BS) – The BS degree provides a foundation for professional careers in mathematics as well as a basis for advanced study in the subject. When supplemented with professional education courses, the program of study will prepare students to teach mathematics in secondary schools.
- Bachelor of Science in Education (BSE) – The BSE degree prepares students to teach mathematics in secondary schools. This program provides a foundation for those students who wish to pursue an advanced degree in mathematics.
- Pre-engineering – The program of pre-engineering is designed for students who wish to complete a portion of an engineering curriculum before attending an engineering school.
- Minor in Mathematics
Paying for college
- Mathematics scholarships
- Education Scholarships
- $0 out-of-state fees
- Transfer scholarships
- Financial aid
- Student employment
- Phi Theta Kappa scholarships
Why Teach Math?
- Teachers in the U.S. rate their lives better than all other occupation groups, trailing only physicians.
- Mid – Career teacher salaries range between $60,000 and $100,000.
- Most teaching jobs have better retirement benefits than other jobs you can get with the same degree.
- There are student loan forgiveness programs and scholarships for math teachers.
- You can get a job almost anywhere in the U.S. or abroad as a math teacher.
- Grade 7-12 math teachers get paid more than most college teaching faculty.
- Research shows that the classroom teacher has a greater impact on student learning than all other aspects of school (i.e. class size and funding per student).