Delta State University’s Annual Juried Student Exhibition highlights the artistic production of its students. The exhibition provides students with an opportunity to gain professional experiences by preparing work for an exhibition and submitting it to a jury process. Students submitting work are also eligible to win prizes in a variety of categories. Last year over $4000 in prize money was awarded. Submissions in all media – 2-D and 3-D, video, installations, and more – following the exhibition guidelines will be considered.
- The Annual Juried Student Exhibition will run from March 7 to April 18, 2024.
- Submissions are due on Thursday, February 22, 2024, by 5:00 pm.
- Awards will be announced at the opening reception on Thursday, March 7, 2024.
This year’s juror is Susan Maakestad. Maakestad is an independent artist working in Memphis. Maakestad was a recipient of a National Endowment for the Art Fellowship from Arts Midwest, an ArtsAccelerator Grant from ArtsMemphis, purchase awards from the UrbanArts Commission in Memphis, and three individual artist grants from the Peoria Area Arts and Sciences Council. Her work has been exhibited nationally including at Groveland Gallery in Minneapolis; Sazama Gallery, Chicago; Steinway Gallery, Chapel Hill; The Rymer Gallery, Nashville; and The Rockford (IL) Art Museum. Public collections include the Tennessee State Museum, Memphis Brooks Museum of Art and the City of Memphis.
Maakestad was Professor of Art at Memphis College of Art where she taught from 1997-2020. She earned her M.F.A. in painting from The University of Iowa in 1987 and a B.A., magna cum laude, and M.A. from Central Washington University in Ellensburg, WA
- All Delta State University students who are currently enrolled in art classes or have been enrolled in art classes between spring 2023 and spring 2024.
- Work must have been produced between spring 2023 and spring 2024.
- Works previously submitted to the Annual Juried Student Exhibition and work produced at another school are not eligible.
- Work must remain on view in the Wright Art Center Gallery for the entire duration of the exhibition.
Artwork in all media –2-D and 3-D, video, installations, and more – are eligible. The entrant is responsible for delivery and pick-up of the work (see below for dates).
All accepted entries must be properly labeled with the artist’s name, the work’s title and date, price or NFS (not for sale) and installation instructions, if applicable. All accepted entries must be ready to be hung or installed:
- 2-D works on paper must be matted so that they can be pinned to the wall or
- mounted under glass with all appropriate hardware to hang,
- paintings must have all appropriate hardware to hang.
- 3-D works must be able to stand on their own or be mounted on a stand.
- Artists submitting digital or video work should contact well in advance our Digital Media faculty who will collect entries on one USB drive. Students submitting digital or video work must bring their videos in MP4 format on a USB stick, students submitting a video installation must provide all necessary equipment to display the work and be present for the installation.
- Work that is not ready to be hung or installed will be disqualified.
- Maximum size: 72” in any direction, 150 lb.
- Submit your personal details and the label information for your entries here by February 22, 2024, 5:00 pm.
- Then, bring your work to the gallery between Monday, February 19 and February 22, 2024, 5:00 pm. Wall labels spelling out the various entry categories (painting, printmaking, drawing, graphic design, sculpture, etc.) will indicate where to leave your work.
- Make sure to write with pencil or pen your name, the title, and the year on the back of your work before you bring it to the gallery. (Do not attach the emailed confirmation)
- Entrants will be notified via email of their acceptance by February 26, 2024.
- Images of any accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of Wright Art Center Gallery for promotional purposes including but not limited to invitations, publicity, Delta State University Art Department web site, and Facebook page, or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Images will include attributions.
Special Instructions for Submitting Digital Work
- The faculty teaching video and animation will collect the work you submit to the Annual Juried Student Exhibition and may ask you to submit your work earlier than the official submission deadline.
- Save your work as mp4 files.
- Label the files you submit with your name, title, category, i.e., JaneDoe.Title.video or JaneDoe.Title.animation.
- Submission deadline is Thursday, February 22, 2024, by 5:00 pm.
- Entrants will be notified via email of their acceptance February 26, 2024.
- All work not accepted into the exhibition has to be picked up between Monday, February 26 and Thursday, Thursday, Febuary 29, 5:00 pm.
- The opening reception and announcement of prizes will be held on Thursday, March 7, 2024, starting at 5:00 pm.
- All exhibited works have to be picked up between Friday, April 19 and Thursday, April 25, by 5:00 pm. Work that is left at the Wright Art Center Gallery for more than one week will be discarded or become the property of Delta State University.
- If you are mailing your work, include a UPS or FedEx return shipping label.
Promotion: This exhibition will be promoted through mail-outs, announcements on our web site and Facebook page, through area art organizations, and area media. A selection of works will be included in a press release sent to local papers and posted online.
Sales: Although works exhibited in the Annual Juried Student Exhibition do not have to be for sale, sales are encouraged as some of the prizes are purchase prizes. Purchase prizes usually are $500 or less.
Helpful Tips: For Entering Art Shows, Juried Exhibitions & Competitions for Artists can be found at http://www.artshow.com/juriedshows/entering.html.
For questions about submissions contact email@example.com.