Office of Academic Affairs
The University is able to provide financial support for professional development proposals because of donors. To be eligible they must be specifically targeted toward proposals designed to improve the quality of your performance. There must be clear linkage between the proposal and the courses the faculty member teaches or will teach. Proposals for travel to seminars, workshops, or college courses when the content is directly related to teaching assignments. Where appropriate, the expectation is that faculty/staff who are approved for funding will share the results of their professional development efforts with their colleagues.
The following guidelines are applicable to professional development proposals:
- Travel to annual conventions is not eligible for funding.
- Travel and/or expenses associated with pursuit of a degree are not eligible.
- Travel to state meetings is not eligible for funding.
- Funds cannot be used to defray expenses of students.
- A faculty/staff member who has given, or received, notice of termination, or who has a part-time and/or temporary appointment, is not eligible for funding.
The Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs can waive these guidelines for proposals with special circumstances.
To initiate a proposal, a faculty/staff member should complete a request for funding on the appropriate form, secure the approval of the department chair and college or school dean. Deans will compile all proposals and bring to Academic Council for approval.
For additional information on Professional Development, contact the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs in Kent Wyatt Hall 228 or call 662-846-4010.