Thanks to those of you who were able to make time to attend the Town Hall meeting last week. I understand that not everyone was able to be present, so please click on the link below if you would like to view the recording.
I was especially grateful for the thoughtful questions from the audience. I know my report was not entirely uplifting, but I reiterate the importance of our task. Too many people depend on Delta State University to allow it to remain in jeopardy. I’m committed to the future of this institution, and I am assured that you are as well.
I beg your patience as we undertake a series of shifts in administrative roles over the coming weeks, months, and years. We must balance the need for change with the daily demands of operating a complex organization, and so I’m trying to moderate the pace of change so we can process each new arrangement. With that in mind, here are some pending administrative adjustments of which you ought to be aware:
- I intend to call to order and charge the Ad Hoc Committee on Budget Sustainability on October 17. I have named three individuals to this body:
- Joi Phillips, Interim Dean of Library Services (Chair)
- Edwin Craft, Associate Vice President for Finance/Chief Information Officer
- Larry Wakefield, Interim VP for Finance & Administration
I request the Faculty Senate to name a faculty representative at-large, and the Staff Council to do likewise for a staff representative at-large.
For faculty area representatives, I ask each respective Dean to arrange for college-wide elections per your customary practice:
- Faculty Representative from the College of Arts and Sciences
- Faculty Representative from the School of Nursing
- Faculty Representative from the College of Business and Aviation
- Faculty Representative from the College of Education and Human Sciences
For staff area representatives, the respective Cabinet-level officers will solicit interest from their units and hold elections for:
- Staff Representative from Student Affairs
- Staff Representative for the Student Success Center
To complete the committee, I invite the Athletic Director, the President of the Student Government Association, and the Foundation’s Executive Committee to make their respective appointments.
I would like the names of all representatives submitted to Ms. Jamie Claire Smith (email@example.com) in my office by Wednesday, October 11, 2023.
- As we work to replace our Vice President for University Advancement and External Relations, I am making the following adjustments to address this vacancy:
- In consultation with the Foundation Board, Mr. David Gladden is appointed Interim VP for University Advancement and Director of the Foundation
- The external relations portfolio is assigned to Dr. Michelle Roberts, Vice President for Executive Affairs and Chief of Staff. Dr. Roberts will oversee Communications and Marketing (which also includes Mailing and Printing Services and our campus radio station), as well as Government Relations.
- At the presidential level, I have made the following changes:
- The Office of Institutional Research, Effectiveness, and Planning will now report directly to me
- Edwin Craft, Associate Vice President of Finance/Chief Information Officer is added to the President’s Cabinet
- The Executive Committee is dissolved.
- The University Leadership Council (ULC) has been formed to take over the advisory role of the Executive Committee. The membership of this new body will include:
- Interim VP for Academic Affairs/Provost
- VP for Executive Affairs and Chief of Staff
- Interim VP for Finance and Administration
- VP for Student Affairs
- Interim VP for University Advancement
- Director of Athletics
- Associate VP for Finance and Administration
- Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Interim Dean of the College of Business and Aviation
- Interim Dean of the College of Education and Human Sciences
- Dean of the School of Nursing
- Dean of Graduate Studies
- Interim Dean of Library Services
- Chief Marketing Officer
- Chief Human Resources Officer
- Director of Undergraduate Admissions
- Director of Institutional Research, Effectiveness, and Planning
- Faculty Senate Representative
- Staff Senate Representative
- Student Government Representative
The ULC will elect its own presiding officer, meet bi-monthly, and will exercise oversight on topics that require intermediate levels of review, that is, in that space between the Cabinet and departments. It is my hope that a broader representation in this group will bring more ideas to the forefront when it comes to policy, budgetary, and operational matters.
I appreciate all who are taking on new roles with a spirit of goodwill.