DSU’s Bondurant named 2020 College Math Teacher of the Year

DSU’s Associate Professor of Mathematics Liza Bondurant was recently named the 2020 College Math Teacher of the Year by the Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM).

A Delta State University professor was recently recognized as the state’s top college math professor by the Mississippi Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM).

Associate Professor of Mathematics Liza Bondurant has been named MCTM’s 2020 College Math Teacher of the Year.

MCTM is a professional organization whose membership includes Mississippi teachers and other professionals who work with the teaching of mathematics, from kindergarten through senior college.

Any deserving public or private school teacher, state public university or community college instructor who teaches mathematics and is a member of MCTM is eligible to be nominated for the outstanding award.

“It is a huge honor to be recognized for this award,” said Bondurant.  “I dedicate most of my day, every day to my profession, but it does not feel like work, because I love my work. Nevertheless, it feels wonderful to have my efforts acknowledged.”

Bondurant received her Bachelor of Science, Master of Science and PhD from the State University of New York at Albany.

In addition to her duties as a faculty member, Bondurant also serves as the program coordinator for DSU’s 7-12 Mathematics Education program.

She has published several publications, including, “Equitable Mathematics Classroom Discourse” and, most recently, “Reflections on Changes in Field-related Experiences during COVID-19.”

“As a math teacher educator, it is my goal to help preservice teachers develop pedagogical content knowledge, a growth mindset and an appreciation of mathematics,” she said. “I have experienced the greatest successes in achieving these goals when I use Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI) as well as strategies from inquiry-based, team-based and active learning.”

Bondurant said she’s grateful to MCTM for the recognition as well as the resources the organization provides.

“Thanks to the MCTM award, I was able to provide the ten most recent graduates of the 7-12 Mathematics BSE program, who are currently secondary math teachers, with a ‘survival kit’ of classroom supplies,” she shared.

To learn more about MCTM, visit www.mctmonline.com.

For more information about Delta State’s Division of Mathematics and Sciences, visit www.deltastate.edu/artsandsciences/mathematics.