Robert E. Smith School of Nursing Receives $75,000 from the Mississippi Board of Nursing

By December 5, 2019Press Releases, School of Nursing
Left to right: Debbie Allen, instructor in nursing; Amanda Tritt, instructor in nursing; and Dr. Vicki Bingham, dean of nursing.

Delta State University’s Robert E. Smith School of Nursing received $75,000 from the Mississippi Board of Nursing/Office of Nursing Workforce for nursing scholarships in the RN-BSN Completion, Master of Science in Nursing, and Doctor of Nursing Practice programs for the 2019-20 academic year. 

“We are thankful to have received these scholarship funds for our nursing students,” said Vicki Bingham, dean of the School of Nursing. “These funds can be used to help nursing students with tuition, lab fees, textbooks, supplies/equipment, and transportation for clinical travel.”

Approximately 13 Delta State nursing students received varying scholarship amounts as based upon their nursing program.

Natalie Edwards, an RN-BSN scholarship recipient at Delta State, called the award “a great financial relief for me and my family. It will enable me to continue my journey of completing my education. I promise to do my best and return the investment,” she added, “to those I care for daily.”

While Delta State’s School of Nursing has received scholarship funding from the Mississippi Board of Nursing/Office of Nursing Workforce for the past three years, this year’s award amount has been the largest.

Any school of nursing that is accredited, located in Mississippi, and meets the application deadline is eligible for these scholarship funds. While each nursing school may establish additional criteria for students to receive the award, all scholarship recipients must be a resident of Mississippi; hold an unencumbered Mississippi license to practice nursing, if licensed as a nurse; and submit the required scholarship recipient form.

Delta State’s School of Nursing requires applicants to write an essay that describes their participation in promoting health and/or nursing activities in their community; involvement in professional nursing organizations; meaning of patient advocacy; and how they plan to move nursing forward in Mississippi after graduation.