Crockett wins scholarship from Sanderson Farms aviation department

Tristan Shemar Crockett, left, is presented a scholarship from the flight department of Sanderson Farms. Presenting the award was Brett Oleis, instructor of commercial aviation at Delta State.

Delta State University Commercial Aviation is pleased to announce the inaugural recipient of a scholarship provided by members of the flight department of Sanderson Farms.

The scholarship came out of a fundraiser held by the corporation’s flight department and was spearheaded by Kevin Blair and Ryan McBride. Both serve as pilots for Sanderson Farms, and McBride is a Delta State flight operations graduate.

Receiving the scholarship was aviation major Tristan Shemar Crockett of Grenada.

“I am extremely grateful to receive this scholarship,” said Crockett, a junior working on his instrument rating. “I would like to thank the Sanderson Farms aviation department for providing the scholarship and Delta State’s Department of Commercial Aviation for choosing me. These funds will help me continue my flight training into the summer.”

Brett Oleis, instructor of commercial aviation at Delta State, said he was thankful for the longstanding support from organizations in the aviation industry.

“Our graduates go on to make big impacts in the aviation field, both locally and globally,” said Oleis. “We are always appreciative of companies in the industry that give back to our students.”

Learn more about commercial aviation at Delta State at https://www.deltastate.edu/college-of-business/commercial-aviation.