Psi Chi is the National Honor Society in Psychology, founded in 1929 for the purposes of encouraging, stimulating, and maintaining excellence in scholarship, and advancing the science of psychology.
Member benefits include:
- Lifetime membership into the largest honor society in psychology
- Eligible to wear Psi Chi honor cords or stole at graduation
- Lifetime subscription to Eye on Psi Chi magazine
- Eligible to present research papers/posters at Psi Chi programs, as well as apply for Psi Chi research awards and grants
Membership is open to graduate and undergraduate students who are making the study of psychology one of their major interests (i.e., major or minor) and who meet the minimum qualifications:
- Overall GPA of at least 3.0
- A psychology GPA of at least 3.0
- At least three semesters of college
- At least nine hours of psychology courses
- High moral standing
Psi Chi is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies and is an affiliate of the American Psychological Association (APA) and the American Psychological Society (APS). Psi Chi functions as a federation of chapters located at more than 800 senior colleges and universities in the U.S. A national council, comprised of psychologists who are Psi Chi members and who are elected by the chapters, guides the organization. Psi Chi serves two major goals: provides academic recognition to its inductees through membership; and nurtures the spark of that accomplishment by offering a climate congenial to its creative development.
The DSU chapter of Psi Chi was established in 1993. Two induction ceremonies are held every year to welcome new members. Student members are involved in many social, learning, and student engagement activities that serve to nourish and stimulate professional growth. Annual social events include the Psi Chi Halloween costume party, Christmas party, faculty/student football and basketball games, and bowling nights. Students also engage in many fund-raising activities to fund annual trips to psychology research conferences. Over the years, the DSU chapter of Psi Chi has sponsored trips to psychology conferences in Orlando, New Orleans, San Antonio, Nashville, and Austin.