Scholarships and Graduate Assistantships
- Delta State University Scholarship Policy: Institutional, foundation, state, and federally funded scholarships and grants are all subject to a maximum yearly amount not to exceed the cost of tuition, average room and board, and a $600 per year book allowance.
- A portion of student tuition and fee charges is used for scholarships, tuition waivers, and other operating costs.
Full-time Student: Undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more hours and graduate students enrolled in 9 or more hours.
FAFSA: Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Delta State University provides opportunities to students for financial assistance through institutional, foundation, state, and federal monies in accordance with the procedures outlined by the grantee and as contained in this policy.
- This policy is effective fall 2012 and is applicable to all students receiving institutional, foundation, state, or federal grants and scholarships.
- Scholarships are awarded based on: cumulative grade point average, ACT/SAT score, estimated family contribution (EFC), and residency.
- Scholarship applicants are strongly encouraged t complete the FAFSA. Applicants not completing the FAFSA will not be considered for those scholarships that are awarded based on financial need.
- Scholarship guarantees may be paid with institutional or foundation monies, if funds are available.
- Scholarship recipients must be enrolled full-time.
- Intuitional and Foundation scholarships are not available for summer sessions.
- Dismissal from the University will result in the forfeiture of scholarships and grants.
- For institutional or foundation scholarships which require an ACT or SAT composite score, national tests prior to enrollment are acceptable; super-scoring is not acceptable.
- Scholarships and other aid may have varying enrollment and academic requirements; recipients should always refer to their award letter.
How to Apply
Scholarship applications can be obtained by contacting the Office of Admissions or online at www.deltastate.edu. First-time students are required to complete a scholarship application and submit all supporting documentation by March 1 for freshman and April 1 for transfer students. Supporting documentation includes: essays, resume, test scores, and transcripts from any institution attended.
Assistantships are awarded to students enrolled full-time in graduate degree programs. Allocation for assistantships is designated for each college/school/unit by the Office of Graduate Studies and Research.
Each college/school/unit recommends to the Dean of Graduate Studies full-time graduate students for Graduate Assistantships. In exchange for compensation, graduate assistants provide part-time service as a portion of their training.
The Responsible Office and/or the Policy Owner: Office of Admissions
- Cabinet Approval: 03/18/2013
Policy Effective Date: 03/18/2013