Moving Expense Reimbursement
Delta State University provides a moving reimbursement to new employees which generally includes faculty and staff employees offered permanent, benefit eligible contract appointments. The total allotted for the reimbursement will not exceed an amount equivalent to one half of one month’s salary of the new employee’s salary.
Employee: This generally includes faculty and staff employees who are working on paid appointments by the University. It generally excludes students or temporary employees. For specific information on who is considered an employee, contact the Human Resources Department.
Moving expense reimbursement requires prior approval by the respective Vice President and the Human Resources Director. There will be no reimbursement in a situation of failure to secure these approvals.
In order for a new employee to be reimbursed for moving expenses, the following steps must be completed:
- The employee must obtain at least two written quotes from professional movers from which the lowest is chosen
- The department sends the quotes to the Office of Human Resources for review and/or approval
- Once Human Resources approves, the department will contact the employee and advise them that DSU will reimburse the amount of the lowest quote equivalent to one half of one month’s salary NOT to exceed $2,500.
Once the candidate has moved, he/she must provide the following documentation for reimbursement:
- Final invoice and proof of payment to moving company or rental truck company. This may be in the form of a credit card slip, printed receipt from moving company or a clear notation on the invoice that it was “paid in full”.
The following moving expenses are not reimbursed by the Office of Human Resources:
- Meals and lodging expenses incurred during the move
- Transportation costs for employee and family (mileage)
- Expenses incurred for transportation of vehicles
- Moving costs for items other than household goods
- Temporary living expenses
- Car rental costs
Responsible Office and/or Policy Owner: Office of Human Resources
- Approved by Cabinet: 07/07/2014