Employment of Retirees
Individuals who have retired from the University (or other State of Mississippi service) may be re-employed in accordance with policies outlined by the Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi.
Individuals who have retired from the Delta State University (or other State of Mississippi service) may be re-employed for a period of time in each fiscal year not to exceed the following:
- For a period of time not to exceed one-half (1/2) of the normal working days for the position in any fiscal year during which the retiree will receive no more than one-half (1/2) of the salary in effect for the position at the time of employment, or
- For a period of time in any fiscal year sufficient in length to permit a retiree to earn not in excess of twenty-five (25%) of the retiree’s average compensation.
State retirement benefits are subject to suspension for retirees re-employed under conditions other than those specified above. The provisions allowing emergency limited re-employment of retirees are designed to assist in meeting critical short-term staffing needs only. All retirees re-employed under these provisions are reported to the Public Employees’ Retirement System as required.
The following procedures should be followed when employment of a retiree is proposed:
1. Obtain written approval through the chain of command from the appropriate Vice President. The employment request should describe the emergency situation on which the request is based, the proposed period of employment, and the proposed compensation;
2. Submit the request to the Human Resources Department to verify that the proposed work period and compensation are within the provisions of state law;
3. Submit a Recommendation and Authorization Form to complete the re-employment process.
Mississippi Code Section 25-11-127
Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi – PERS Regulation 34