Employment Eligibility (I-9)



It is the University’s policy to employ only those individuals eligible for work in the United States. Therefore, to ensure the identity and the employment eligibility of all persons employed, hiring departments shall be responsible for documentation and verification requirements. These requirements are met through proper completion of the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 designated by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).




Employee: This generally includes faculty and staff employees who are working on paid appointments by the University. It generally excludes students or temporary employees. For specific information on who is considered an employee, contact the Human Resources Department. 


Supervisor: An employee designated by management who exercises major supervisory functions over another employee or employees. These functions include hiring, evaluating, assigning work, and disciplining employees.




On or before their first day of work, all new employees shall be required to present to the hiring department original documentation of their true identity and employment eligibility. Some documents (Group A documents identified below) establish both employment authorization and identity, and any one document is acceptable. If an employee does not have a Group A document, he/she must present one document that establishes identity, a Group B document, and one document that establishes employment eligibility, a Group C document.


The choice of which document(s) to present is the employee’s. However, a document(s) that is not an original and/or which does not appear to be genuine may be denied.


Group A Documents

1.      United States Passport

2.      Certificate of United States Citizenship

3.      Certificate of Naturalization

4.      Unexpired Foreign Passport (containing authorization to work stamp)

5.      Alien Registration Receipt Card, INS Form E-151 or I-152, if it contains a photograph

6.      Temporary Resident Card, INS Form I-688

7.      Employment Authorization Card, INS Form I-688A


Group B Documents

  1. A state-issued driver’s license or state-issued identification card containing a photograph. If the driver’s license or identification card does not contain a photograph, identifying information should be included such as: name, date of birth, sex, height, color of eyes and address.
  2. School identification card with photograph
  3. Voter’s registration card
  4. U.S. military card or draft record
  5. Identification card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities
  6. Military dependent’s identification card
  7. Native American tribal documents
  8. United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  9. Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority  

Group C Documents

1.      A social security number card other than one which has printed on its face "not valid for employment purposes"

2.      An unexpired re-entry permit, INS Form I-327

3.      An unexpired Refugee Travel document, INS Form I-571

4.      A Certificate of Birth issued by the Department of State, Form FS-545

5.      A Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State, Form DS-1350

6.      An original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, or municipal authority bearing a seal

7.      An employment authorization document issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service

8.      Native American tribal document

9.      United States Citizen Identification Card, INS Form I-197

10. Identification card for use by a resident citizen in the United States, INS Form I-179



  • None