In addition to academic factors, non-academic factors, such as student involvement in campus life, play a vital role in student retention and success. Outside of the classroom, DSU students deal with family, financial and emotional demands. Many DSU full-time students are from a socio-economic level that qualifies them to receive financial aid. International students also experience unique challenges that must be addressed. An integrated approach that incorporates both academic and non-academic factors and seeks to address not only the academic needs, but also the social and emotional needs of students, will offer the most promising opportunities for student retention and academic success. To encourage an overall positive college experience, the Student Success Center has the following goals:
- Promote opportunities for intellectual development through a collaborative partnership with DSU academic colleges/school
- Provide targeted assistance and mentoring to international students to promote academic success and help navigating through requirements for student and non-immigrant visas, tax information, legal status, employment eligibility and financial matters
- Organize events to promote campus involvement of international students, including new student orientation programs, social events/activities and cultural opportunities
- Provide information, presentations and training to students, faculty, and staff on international student development, I-20 and SEVIS, Internal Revenue Service and international student employment policies and procedures
- Work with DSU Career Services to encourage hands-on exposure to career paths through speakers, internships and field trips, working collaboratively with employers who recruit on campus
- Coordinate with campus entities to offer workshops and programs to offer advice to reduce physical, financial and other non-academic pressures
- Partner with campus organizations to host and participate in campus events; including Move-In Day, Welcome Week, career events, Homecoming, alumni meetings, etc.
- Collaborate with undergraduate Admissions to promote the effective matriculation of freshmen and transfer students
- Participate in off-campus events to broaden the campus experience
- Collaborate with DSU Communications and Marketing, DSU Athletics and DSU Alumni Association to increase school spirit.