Grant Mission Statement:
Delta State University seeks to provide a sustainable model for a Healthy Campus/School Culture worthy of replication by other Institutions and communities, through a partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield Foudation of Mississippi.
Building a healthier Delta State University and Cleveland is the ambitious goal of a collaborative effort. The Healthy Campus/Community Initiative is led by Delta State's College of Education, which has been awarded a $700,000 grant from Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Foundation.
Through this program, Delta State will transform the culture of its campus and become the flagship health and wellness university in the state. The initiative goals are not limited to Delta State, however. Faculty and students - working together with the Cleveland School District, the City of Cleveland, the medical community and the Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi Foundation - will work to improve the health and wellness culture of Cleveland and Bolivar County.
DSU Box B-2
Cleveland, MS 38733
To provide for the infusion of health curricula in pre-service teacher and leadership programs, as well as health related components in the school district curriculum.
To provide a comprehensive Delta State Health and Wellness Center (e.g., nutrition counseling, outdoor recreation, education, exercise science, and health screenings).
To establish a healthy campus/P-12 environment.
To provide ongoing health information, screenings, and educational venues for the purpose of creating a healthy campus culture.
Target components of the American College Health Association, an affiliation of Delta State.
- Physical Activity
- Overweight & Obesity
- Tobacco Use
- Substance Abuse
- Responsible Sexual Behavior
- Mental Health
- Injury and Violence
- Environmental Quality
- Access to Health Care
Advisory Committee Membership
- Chair, College of Education Dean
- Coordinator, Healthy Campus/Community Initiative
- Director, Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS Foundation
- Chair, HPER Department
- Instructor, Nursing Department
- Superintendent, Cleveland School District
- Internal Medicine Physician, Cleveland Medical Clinic
- Family Medicine Physician, Cleveland Medical Clinic
- Chair, Family and Consumer Science
- Director of Marketing, Bolivar Medical Center
- Assistant Professor, Teacher Education
- Community Member, Owner of the Country Platter
- Mayor, The City of Cleveland
- School Nurse, Cleveland School District
- Director, Center for Community & Economic Development
- CEO, Bolivar Medical Center
University Steering Committee Membership
- Vice President, Student Affairs, Chair
- Student Goverment - 3
- Student Affairs Staff - 3
- Student Organizations - 4
- Faculty Senate - 2
- Faculty-At-Large - 2