Admission. The following admission requirements are the same for all M.Ed. degree programs in the College of Education and Human Sciences and Human Sciences. Please note that some programs have additional requirements.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an institution fully accredited by one of the recognized accrediting agencies.
2. A Class A teaching certificate, or its equivalent. A Master of Education degree applicant who does not yet qualify for an "A" certificate may be admitted to the Graduate School, but must meet the requirements of the State of Mississippi for an "A" certificate in teaching before the degree will be awarded. However, upon the recommendation of the department chair, the Dean of the College of Education and Human Sciences may waive the requirements of satisfying certification requirements for those students currently employed or preparing for employment in junior or senior colleges, non-public institutions, or positions not requiring certification. (Waiver forms are obtained in the office of the department/division chair.) In the event that certification requirements are waived, it is incumbent upon the student to recognize the limitation upon the scope of the areas within which he or she might seek employment in the future.
Course work included in the Class A teaching certification program in Health and Physical Education or undergraduate course work taken by those seeking a waiver of the Class A teaching certificate rule in Health and Physical Education must include the following: anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology and measurement and evaluation in physical education or an approved statistics course. Students who do not have these prerequisite courses may take other graduate classes while they complete the undergraduate work.
3. Overall undergraduate grade point average (UGPA) of a minimum of 2.50 or 2.75 on the last 64 hours of required coursework. (For counselor education, and health, physical education and recreation an overall GPA of 2.75 or 3.00 on the last 64 hours of required coursework).
Admitted students are required to enroll in 9 hours of initial course work as specified by the division. (Prior approval is required.) NOTE: A minimum grade of B is required for each course for the initial 9 hours. A student with a grade below B in any of the three initial required courses will be allowed to repeat that course(s) one time. No additional courses toward completion of the degree may be taken until the 9-hour grade point average requirement is fully met.
4. A satisfactory score on a nationally recognized, standardized test of verbal skills.
5. M.Ed. in Elementary Education applicants must submit evidence of a passing score on PRAXIS II, Elementary Education: Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment (K-5), or Elementary Education: Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment (4-8); or passing score on test in Elementary Education approved by Mississippi State Department of Education.