Admission requirements for the Educational Specialist degree program are as follows:
1. A master's degree from an institution fully accredited by one of the recognized accredited agencies.
2. A Class AA teaching certificate, or its equivalent, and a Master's degree in a related field.
3. A grade point average of 3.25 on coursework completed for the master's degree.
4. A satisfactory score on a nationally recognized, standardized test of verbal skills.
Additional requirements for Education Administration and Supervision:
Two years of school related work experience.
Additional requirements for Elementary Education:
Evidence of a passing score on PRAXIS II, Elementary Education: Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment (K-5), or Elementary Education: Curriculum, Instruction, & Assessment (4-8); or passing score on a test in Elementary Education approved by the Mississippi State Department of Education.
Specific requirements for School Counseling:
1. Transcript indicating receipt of a master's degree in Counseling or Counselor Education (school counseling emphasis) with a 3.25 minimum grade point average from a CACREP accredited program or equivalent.
2. MS class AA educator license in School Guidance and Counseling (or equivalent from another state).
3. Minimum of two years experience as a professional school counselor.
4. Current employment as a professional school counselor in a public or private school.
5. Minimal score on a nationally recognized standardize test of verbal/writing skills.
a. Collegiate Assessment of Academic Proficiency (CAAP) - 3.00
b. Graduate Record Exam (GRE) - 370
c. Miller's Analogy Test - 30
d. Praxis: Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) Writing Test - 174
e. Praxis: Competency-Based Test (CBT) Writing Test - 320
6. Three letters of recommendation: (1) current or former supervisor in the field of education who can address the candidate's professional school counseling qualifications, (2) college instructor who can address the candidate's ability for successful graduate performance in this program, and (3) other professional reference who can address the candidate's professional counseling skills and identity.
7. Curriculum Vita/detailed resume demonstrating leadership and professional counseling identity/involvement.
8. Academic writing sample.