What is NetLibrary? |
What kinds of books are in the collection?
How do I access NetLibrary? |
How do I create an account?
How do I perform a search? |
How do I read an ebook?
What is NetLibrary
NetLibrary is a collection of over 40,000 electronic books, or eBooks. These books are full-text and fully searchable, and they are available from any computer with Internet access.
What kinds of books are in the NetLibrary collection?
- 54% of the collection are from university presses
- Emphasis on titles from regional universities in the South, e.g. University Press of Mississippi.
- 38% of the titles are recently published books, from 1998-2005.
- Other collections include Cliff Notes and Books for Dummies.
How do I access NetLibrary?
Using any computer on-campus, go to http://netlibrary.com. If you want to check out a book, or search NetLibrary off-campus, you need to create a personal account. [Please note: When you initially create your netLibrary account, it must be done from a computer on-campus. However, after your account is active, you may access netLibrary from any computer with Internet access.] If you have problems accessing NetLibrary from off-campus, please call the Reference Desk at 662-846-4431 during the hours Roberts-LaForge Library is open.
How do I create an account
- Go to the NetLibrary Web site
- At the top right side of the page, click on "Create a Free Account"
- Fill in the form. Items in red must be filled out.
- Click on the "Create Account" button. You will then need to accept the user agreement. Each subsequent time you want to use NetLibrary, click on log in at the top of the screen.
How do I perform a search?
You may search by various fields of the eBook. Type in one word or multiple words. Put phrases in quotation marks.
- Title - looks for your keywords anywhere in the title of the eBook. You may type the exact title of the book, or a part of the book title.
- Author - looks for your keywords in the author field. Type in john smith or smith, john, or just smith.
- Subject - looks for your keywords in the Library of Congress Subject Headings given to the eBook.
- Keywords - looks for your keywords anywhere in the title, author, or subjects of the eBook.
- Full Text - looks for your keywords anywhere within the entire eBook. Use unique words, unless you want 300 results.
- Publisher - limit your search to a particular publisher using the pulldown menu.
NetLibrary will rank the results based on the frequency of the keywords, with a maximum of 300 results. To limit by publication date or to sort the results other than a ranked retrieval, click on Advanced Search.
How do I read an eBook?
You may preview an eBook for a limited period of time. Click the Preview icon to peruse the eBook - view the Table of Contents, keyword search the text, or jump to a particular page. For continued access, you must check out the eBook. Once you have created a personal account, click the Checkout icon. You have access to the eBook for four hours.
If you want to read the eBook offline, or while not connected to the Internet, you will need to download netLibrary's eBook Reader (Windows 95/98/NT only). You will still be limited to four hours of access.
Search NetLibrary now!