Delta State University’s President, Dr. John Hilpert, announced this morning the names of those individuals who have agreed to serve on the search committee to find a new athletic director.
As was announced late last week, Dr. Rose Strahan, chair of the mathematics department at Delta State and NCAA faculty athletic representative for the university, will chair the committee. She will be joined by the following:
· Georgene Clark – English Faculty (Faculty)
· John Cox – Cox and Moore Law Firm (Alumni Association)
· Gary Gainspoletti – Gainspoletti and Associates (Athletic Booster Club)
· Mike Kinnison – Head Baseball Coach (Athletic Staff)
· Wayne Lee – Health Physical Education & Recreation Faculty (Athletic Alumni)
· Ned Mitchell – South Group/Bolivar Insurance (Foundation)
· Billy Moore – Dean of College of Business (Academic Administration)
· Sandra Rushing – Head Women’s Basketball Coach (Athletic Staff)
· Greg Redlin – Vice President for Finance & Administration (Staffing – ex officio)
· Judson Thigpen – Executive Director of the Cleveland-Bolivar County Chamber of Commerce (Community)
· Sam Washington – Director of Purchasing (Athletic Committee)
A student-athlete representative will be named later this week.
“We are grateful to those that answered this call to serve Delta State University. This committee includes persons who are highly respected, both on campus and in the community,” Hilpert offered. “Their work will help shape the future of the university’s athletic department, and for that we are appreciative.”
University officials project that an effective search may require three months or more, not unusual, for a nationwide search process.
“We want to move deliberately and purposefully,” Hilpert explained. “With Coach (Ronnie) Mayers serving as our interim AD, we have the leadership in place to do that.”
Ronnie Mayers accepted the interim post Thursday and will begin his assignment March 1. He will replace Dr. Brad Teague, who resigned Tuesday, Jan. 22 as Delta State athletic director to accept Division I University of Central Arkansas’ offer to head its athletic department.
Further details regarding the search process will be released as they become available