Doyle to exhibit cowboy photography in NYC galleries

Delta State University photographer and news writer, Rory Doyle ‘11, will be exhibiting his ongoing documentary photography project on Mississippi Delta African-American cowboys and cowgirls at two New York City galleries in June.

On June 17 at 4 p.m., Doyle will lead an exhibit opening talk at Tikhonova+Wintner Fine Art Gallery in Harlem. On June 19 at 7 p.m., Doyle will also host an exhibit opening talk at the Half King Photo Series in Manhattan.

Doyle has been working on the project for nearly two years, traveling across the Delta to photograph a unique cowboy sub-culture.

“Everything started when I met an African-American cowboy riding his horse backwards in the Cleveland Christmas parade,” said Doyle. “He told me about an upcoming rodeo celebrating black cowboy heritage in the area, and the project expanded from there.”

Doyle took on the personal project to compliment his work at Delta State.

“Delta State has instituted a meaningful Winning The Race race-relations conference, and I feel this body of work closely aligns with conference objectives,” he said. “The conference challenges us to break down racial barriers and be more socially conscious of our neighbors. Making an effort in this regard has been such a meaningful experience. Everyone has been extremely welcoming of my camera and me.”

“Many people are unaware of the local black cowboy scene, and it’s been truly educational meeting all the riders here. Thinking about the bigger picture, black cowboys have been under-appreciated in American history.”

Throughout the project, Doyle has been researching the historical impact of black cowboys. He said historians have estimated that one in four cowboys were African-American following the Civil War — yet this population was drastically underrepresented in popular accounts.

“This work sheds light on a prominent sub-culture historically overlooked — one that’s also overlooked here in the Mississippi Delta,” Doyle said.

In April of 2018, Doyle also exhibited photos from the project at the Mississippi Museum of Art in Jackson.

“I have made strong connections in many towns, but each meeting reveals how deep and diverse this community is,” added Doyle. “Through word of mouth and social media, I’ve been introduced to a web of cowboys and cowgirls of all ages. Their advice on who to meet, and which upcoming events to attend, guides me as I continue the body of work.”

View some images from the ongoing project at http://www.rorydoylephoto.com/delta-cowboys/.

Follow all Delta State news at www.deltastate.edu.