First C2C participants receive degrees

Left to right: Dr. Karen Bell, Provost Dr. Charles McAdams, Randa Hitchcock, Keir Davis, Jeremy Weaver and President William N. LaForge.

Earlier this year, Mississippi’s Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) launched the statewide initiative, Complete 2 Compete (C2C), to encourage adult learners to return to college and complete degrees.

The program focuses on adults who have accumulated hours towards a college diploma but have not finished a baccalaureate degree.

Since the C2C launch, Dr. Karen Bell, Delta State University’s C2C coach, has been working with 142 C2C leads (applicants). At Delta State’s commencement ceremonies on Saturday, 14 of the program participants reaped the benefits of graduation.

“We are excited to have our first graduates in the new adult degree completion program, Complete 2 Compete,” said Bell. “This program is a great opportunity for students who have been out of school at least two years and have completed 90 hours to reconnect and finish their degree.”

“Having a college degree makes a real difference for many people, and we want to help adults earn their degree,” said Dr. Charles McAdams, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs at Delta State.

Through this initiative, Randa Hitchcock will receive the new bachelor’s in general studies and finish what she started.

“It is important for me to show my daughter, as well as others, that no matter what life may throw at you, you can accomplish anything you set out to do,” said Hitchcock. “It is important not to give up on a dream, and completing my degree was a dream of mine.”

This year’s graduating class includes:

Ashley Bobo
Keir Davis
Chelsey Dunn
Dana Floyd
Judy Haney
Randa Hitchcock
Marilyn James
Jon McKinney
Phillip Sarullo
Paul Scott
Keisha Thompson
Jeremy Weaver
Joshua Williams
Sandra Williams

“I plan on using the degree to build a better career,” said Jones. “I will be entering the Master of Arts Teaching program, and I could not do this without the BS degree.”

“I plan to use this degree to motivate me to finish what I started,” said Bobo. “I’ve never been more grateful for this opportunity. This is just the first step in my educational journey, and I plan to get my masters as well.”

Learn more about C2C at http://www.msc2c.org.