Jackson wins merit award

By October 2, 2015Academics, Faculty/Staff
Cora Jackson, instructor and director of Field Education in the Department of Social Work at Delta State, was recently awarded the Mississippi Conference on Social Welfare Individual Merit Award.

Cora Jackson, instructor and director of Field Education in the Department of Social Work at Delta State, was awarded the Mississippi Conference on Social Welfare Individual Merit Award at its 88th annual meeting in Biloxi, Miss. on Sept. 24-25.

The award recognizes those who have made a significant impact on social welfare or social services in Mississippi. Other criteria included the nominee’s uniqueness of services or contributions, advocacy efforts and creative measures used to effect social change.

“I am very humbled for being selected for this prestigious award,” said Jackson. “It is always a great feeling to be honored for the work you do, but I must say the work I do and the service to my community is because of the passion I have for the people and my profession — not for the sake of gaining awards, because they are temporal. What matters is the commitment to change lives, and that is what I try to exemplify in my everyday work.”

Jackson, who has taught for five years at Delta State, has been employed in the field of social work for the past 19 years. Her career has provided her the opportunity to serve families and children in a variety of settings, including mental health, hospital social work, home health social services, Head Start case management, administrative and supervisory roles in child protective services, contractual work with hospice, and other schools of social work in teaching and field instruction training.

Jackson added that she is honored to share this award with the students and colleagues she works with on a daily basis.

“I am honored to give back to the institution and community where I received my undergraduate training,” she said. “Because of the instruction and guidance I received, I am able to give the same dedication to our students in hopes that they will do great things for their communities.”

The MCSW has been advancing social services in Mississippi for over 75 years. It’s main goal is to serve as an educational organization for social welfare across the state.

The MCSW is approved as a provider for continuing education by the Mississippi Board of Examiners for Social Workers and Marriage & Family Therapists. Membership is composed of practitioners, administrators, consultants, educators, researchers, volunteers, lay citizens and students.

Learn more about the Department of Social Work at Delta State at https://www.deltastate.edu/college-of-arts-and-sciences/social-work.