Scholarship keeps Bean on path

Delta State University senior Derrick Bean received the first Kent & Janice Wyatt Retention Scholarship Nov. 15.

Early November brought a positive change of direction for one deserving Delta State University student.

Derrick Bean, a senior biology major from Tupelo, was shocked with good fortune when he learned about his recognition as the inaugural Kent & Janice Wyatt Retention Scholarship recipient.

“I got the first email from Dr. Blansett telling me I was being awarded a scholarship, and I couldn’t believe it,” said Bean. “I was so surprised and couldn’t stop laughing. I immediately called my mom to tell her.”

The hard working student, focusing on occupational therapy, said the $3,000 award would go a long way in helping afford his final semester at Delta State.

Just a week after learning about the recognition, Bean was given a front row seat at a celebration for President Emeritus Dr. Kent Wyatt and former First Lady Janice Wyatt, honoring their 50 years of service to the university. Bean also spoke to the crowd and expressed his gratitude.

“Life is full of unknowns, but this scholarship has definitely brought me some certainty about finishing my education at Delta State,” said Bean. “I’m so thankful to everyone, but especially the Wyatts for thinking about the students who come here.”

Retention has been at the forefront of President William N. LaForge’s agenda, the administration and the Wyatts. The scholarship was formed earlier this year for students who are near the completion of their degree requirements and are at risk of dropping out if not provided some level of additional funding.

LaForge and the First Lady, Nancy, made a $10,000 contribution to the scholarship fund earlier this year in honor of the Wyatts’ 50 years.

“The Wyatts have decided they would like for this money to be used to support students who have demonstrated success and commitment in their coursework, and who would otherwise be unable to complete their education within a reasonable time to graduate,” said LaForge. “This is the first scholarship established for the retention of students.”

Bean said he was having a difficult time getting a loan for next semester, a big concern of his due to his aspirations to attend University of Mississippi Medical Center following his Delta State graduation in May.

“This is such a relief,” he said. “I didn’t know how I was going to get the money to cover costs. My mom is not working and couldn’t co-sign a loan. My brother couldn’t sign and my cousin couldn’t sign. It was like we were making headway, and then something would come up and knock me back five or six steps.”

Being able to afford tuition and books next semester has brought the most relief to Bean.

“I can’t really find all the words to express my thanks. It’s a blessing,” he said. “This is going to help me stay on campus and not be purged — which every student hates.”

To learn more about the Kent & Janice Wyatt Retention Scholarship Fund, visit http://www.deltastategiving.org/giving/scholarships/kentandjanicewyattretentionscholarshipfund. Those interested in making contributions can also contact the Delta State University Foundation office at 662-846-4704 or foundation@deltastate.edu.