Delta State honors Morganti with atrium dedication

By May 2, 2011General

(l to r) Delta State Vice President for Executive Affairs and Chief of Staff Emeritus Dr. Leroy Morganti, Delta State Registrar Emeritus James Donald Cooper, Reverend Dr. Jerry Williams, Delta State President Dr. John Hilpert, Delta State President Emeritus Dr. Kent Wyatt

Delta State University dedicated the atrium in Kent Wyatt Hall in honor of longtime staff member and administrator, Dr. Leroy Morganti on Friday, April 29.

Surrounded by family and friends as well as many community members and Delta State administrators, faculty, staff, and students, Morganti was presented jokingly with a road sign unofficially naming the circle drive located east of Kent Wyatt Hall “Morganti Circle.”  He was also presented with a personal plaque honoring the occasion and participated in the unveiling of a larger plaque bearing his name to be permanently displayed in the atrium.

During his dedicatory address, Delta State President Emeritus Dr. Kent Wyatt stated, “Janice (Wyatt) and I are so pleased that the Morganti name will join ours honoring this beautiful building. I have always appreciated his loyalty to me and, more importantly, to Delta State University. I congratulate Leroy on  this well-deserved honor.”

Morganti opened his acceptance with his trademark humor. “Who would not be proud to have his name on this building… excuse me Dr. Wyatt, this atrium,” he said.  

Recounting past experiences, Morganti spoke of his numerous trips to Jackson with Wyatt. “Dr. Wyatt, his wife Janice, and I made many trips down to Jackson,” he said. “Dr. Wyatt would always ride in the back while Janice and I were always in the front where we proceeded, on every trip, to tell him how to run the university.  I guess Dr. Wyatt slept on most trips, because I don’t recall him ever using our advice.”

In closing, Morganti stated, “My family and I are so honored by this dedication. Delta State is loved by so many, and I am especially proud to be associated with this institution.”