Fosheim to present piano faculty recital at Delta State

By February 24, 2011General

Dr. Karen FosheimThe Delta State University Department of Music will present Dr. Karen Fosheim, piano, in a faculty recital at 7:30 p.m., Tuesday, March 8, in the Recital Hall of the Bologna Performing Arts Center.

The event, Pieces of my Youth, features works learned and last performed by the pianist when in elementary, junior high, and high school.

Fosheim says of this program, “Although I have taught most of these works many times, it has been an interesting experience revisiting these works as a performer. Of course, the education and experiences I have had over the years greatly affect my playing and interpretation. Also, many of these pieces bring back very vivid memories of events from my childhood.“

Works on the program include the popular “Moonlight” Sonata of Beethoven, Fantasie-Impromptu and “Raindrop” Prelude of Chopin, The Sunken Cathedral of Debussy, and other works by Bach, Schumann, Brahms, Griffes, Poulenc, and Joplin.

Dr. James Tomek, professor of French, will make a special appearance, providing a brief commentary on Proust, music, and memory.  

Fosheim, professor of music at Delta State, teaches piano and music theory courses, and directs the Delta State University Community Drumming Experience.

The recital is free and open to the public. For more information, contact the Music Department at (662) 846-4615.