Center for Teaching and Learning
In July of 2018, Academic Council approved a syllabus template, created by the Distance Education Committee with recommendations from division chairs, for university-wide adoption by Fall of 2019. In June of 2020, Academic Council approved the attached revisions of the template to include content related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The template is for all online and face-to-face courses.
- Green highlighted text in the template indicates new additions due to COVID-19 and is not meant to remain highlighted in the final draft provided to students.
- Yellow highlighted text in the template provides direction to faculty and is not meant to be included in the final draft provided to students.
- Faculty and departments may add sections or information to the syllabus, as required by an accrediting body or other reporting entity. The template presents the minimum topics that must be covered. Faculty may include additional information for a specific course.
- For ease of student navigation, the section headings and their sequence should not be changed, unless there is a compelling accreditation-related reason to do so. Faculty should check with their academic deans before making such changes.
- Faculty should consult with their division chairs to determine the Program Learning Outcomes relevant to a course. Chairs describe the progress of achieving Program Learning Outcomes in their Annual Report.
- Copies of all course syllabi must be submitted to division chairs each semester and housed in the department office. Chairs have a responsibility to make sure their faculty provide students with a syllabus in the approved format.