Home » Finance » Human Resource Department » Recruitment and Hiring Guidelines » Recruitment Process for Staff Positions
Delta State University
Posting Procedures and Hiring Process for Staff Positions
Listed below are instructions for posting a position and completing paperwork to get your new staff member on payroll. Please read through these steps along with the Recruitment Budget Guidelines before beginning your recruitment process. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 4035.
In order to comply with DSU policy all candidates must formally apply for the position for which they are being considered. Applicants will not be considered without an online application. To formally apply, the applicant must submit application materials to the Office of Human Resources online employment application site: https://deltastate.peopleadmin.com. They can also access the site at Jobs@DSU.
1. Departments are responsible for creating the Position Approval Request by posting their position through the DSU Online PeopleAdmin Employment Site. This is done by the Hiring Manager accessing and posting their position using the guidelines stated in the PeopleAdmin User Guide.
2. The Hiring Manager Site can be accessed on the Human Resources home page or at: https://deltastate.peopleadmin.com/hr.
3. The PeopleAdmin User Guide for posting positions can be accessed at: /pages/168.asp?q=Userguide&site=default_collection.
4. Training for the PeopleAdmin system will be held quarterly for new hiring managers. Human Resources can be contacted for a scheduled time if needed.
5. Positions must be posted for a minimum of 5 calendar days. Job postings that do not include closing dates, may close at any time of the day once the minimum posting period is met and by mutual agreement between Human Resources and the hiring department. DSU’s online application portal allows 24/7 access to DSU jobs.
6. If the position is closed and the hiring department determines that more applications are needed, the department can contact Human Resources asking to reopen the position.
7. If the department/division has received a sufficient amount of qualified applicants, they will begin the interview process.
8. Some staff searches may qualify for funds to be used from the Human Resources recruitment budget for the interview process. Please contact Human Resources prior to inviting any candidates to see if the position qualifies.
9. Campus interviews must include meetings with the search committee and the department head. After the interviews are complete and a hiring decision has been made, the department/division will notify the department head/VP of their selection for approval. The position must be closed and a hiring proposal done and approved by Human Resources before a position is offered to a candidate.
10. Once approval is given, the hiring department/division will create a letter of offer for the successful candidate to sign and returned to the department. Notification by letters/emails will also be sent by department to those who were interviewed/not hired notifying them that the position has been filled. All offer letters must be approved by the department head and Human Resources before sending them to the selected candidate. For sample notification letters click here.
11. Emails to applicants who were not interviewed will be automatically generated by the PeopleAdmin system when the position is filled.
12. Background Screen Authorization will be done on all new hires. An employment offer may be extended to an applicant prior to the completion of the background check. All offers of employment and continuing employment are contingent upon an acceptable background check and any written offer of employment must contain notice of this contingency. Human Resources staff will coordinate the background check with an approved third-party vendor qualified to perform such work. The department will be responsible for the costs associated with conducting background checks.
13. Official transcript(s) are needed if the position requires a bachelor’s.
14. Once the offer letter is signed, the department should send the following items back to the Office of Human Resources:
· Original Offer Letter sign by candidate
· I-9 form with the appropriate documentation verifying citizenship or the eligibility to work within the United States.
· Completed EAF (Employment Action Form) to initiate payroll for your new employee
15. Each new employee is required to complete the Employment Packet. The Office of Human Resources will send packet to employee to be filled. An appointment to go over paperwork and benefits will be setup with new employee as soon as possible after their date of hire.
Keep in mind the Form I-9 must be submitted to the Office of Human Resources on or before the employee’s date of hire to ensure Human Resources will have ample time to complete the E-Verify process within 3 days of the employee’s date of hire.